Introduction and an Inconsistent Bottle Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhancq

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've spent a bit of time on here absorbing your knowledge (getting ahead of myself, really), and have just recently brewed my first batch. I'm fermenting my 2nd now! I'm not a great introduction-type guy, but I can say that I've really enjoyed my short time brewing! Also, Im usually more of a lurker on forums, but you all seem like a great group of folks that I can not only learn from, but also maybe add valuable input someday!

On to my question, if y'all don't mind (I've also linked the recipe/instructions I used from Midwest below): how does everyone mix their carbonating sugar mix with the wort/beer? I followed the attached instructions as best as I think a newb can, but they aren't absolutely clear on how to get the sugar into the wort/beer. What I did was boil the water and sugar, let it cool, pour it in the bottling bucket, and then siphon the wort from my secondary fermenter on top of the mixture (thinking that it would mix better than just dumping the mixture into the bottling bucket on top of the wort.

The good news is that all of the bottles we've opened taste fine (actually, good, believe it or not), but there's variation in the amount of carbonation with some of the bottles-- some are under carbonated, some perfect, and some that produce a 3/4 glass head. The odd thing is that I ended up with slightly less than 5 gallons (due to my trying to avoid extra sediment when I transferred to secondary), and I had assumed I'd run into over-carbonation issues. I know that one of the better solutions is to keg my beer, but is there a way to get consistent carbonation with the sugar/water mixture?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/media/downloads/16/Autumn Amber Ale instructions.pdf

Thanks in advance!
Jeff

As you stated thats my process all has went well but my 4 batch seems to have the same deal. I dont think I mixed it as well. Ive read that you can mix Very Slow with your stir spoon wile its racking on your suger. I have not done this. i usually move the racking tube slowely after adding suger to mix it up a bit. But as you know the less mixing (wort/beer) at this point the better.

My guess maybe your next batch will be better. Prost! :)

I use the same method of racking on top of priming sugar making sure the beer causes a small whirlpool effect. I also stir afterwards creating a nice whirlpool, as long as you don't splash the beer it will be fine. Since i started stirring it i have had very even carbonation.

I use the same method of rocking on top of the dissolved sugar but I will add one more thing that you may or may not be doing. Coil you siphon tubing in the bottom of the bottling bucket and make sure you get a good strong siphon going. With the tubing coiled it creates a little whirlpool that will aid in a better mixture. I do this and have never had an issue with carbonation.

Dont be afraid to stir once mixed in w your sugar. Unless you really beat the crap out of it, you should be fine.
I would assume this is why you had inconsistent carbonation.

I had the same path as you. Then i started mixing (even a little bit) and making good, nicely carbed bottles of brew!!
--beermethatbeer

I had this issue in my first batch, and I remedied the problem by gently stirring the beer 2-3 times while bottling. This keeps the priming sugar mixture consistent throughout the bottling process. My last 4 batches bottles have not had the carbonation issue.

I put my sugar mix in then rack on top of it, after I am done racking I gently but thoroughly stir it with my sterilized plastic brew paddle making sure not to splash or draw air down into the beer.

Thanks for the help, everyone! I'll try gently stirring after racking my next brew (Coffee Stout!) into the bottling bucket.

Thanks again!

dkeller12 said:
I use the same method of rocking on top of the dissolved sugar but I will add one more thing that you may or may not be doing. Coil you siphon tubing in the bottom of the bottling bucket and make sure you get a good strong siphon going. With the tubing coiled it creates a little whirlpool that will aid in a better mixture. I do this and have never had an issue with carbonation.

I'm using an auto-siphon, but my tubing is a bit short to get a good coil in the bucket--even when I boost the bucket with a chair. I'll get some longer tubing and combine that with a gentle stir!

Thank you!

Back