Introducing myself with 1st fermentation of 2022 season.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vindicator

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been lurking on this forum for about a year picking up tips since I started making cider last year, thought time to introduce myself.

I moved in to a new house in 2020 on the site of an old farm that had a Bramley orchard. 3 trees remain of that orchard in my back garden. They produce insane numbers of Bramley apples and there is only so much apple crumble/baked apples/bags you can give away!

in at attempt to use them up, I decided to give cider making a go the following year and produced ~40L in 5 batches. I experimented with alcohol, bottle conditioning etc and surprisingly for my wife, was actually drinkable. Style is bone dry, tart (from the single Bramley variety) with a light fizz from bottle conditioning. Many have described the product as apple Prosecco.

This year, drought in the UK and a more severe Codling Moth infestation has caused a late proportion of the crop to fall already. No matter, have cut the moth‘d bits out and started 1st batches early. Base juice was surprisingly good.

Hope to post more in time.

Attachments

• 38D925B0-FEDF-4E01-9D6F-3F9EE60EBC1A.jpeg
    38D925B0-FEDF-4E01-9D6F-3F9EE60EBC1A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to the forum!

Nice job on the cider. I’m not sure if I’ve ever tasted a Bramley, surely they are grown here in the US as well, I will keep my eyes out for them.

Back