into the wild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penguin

Reaction score
just saw that flick last night. i thought it was enjoyable and really touches on the adventurous side of my personallity. just wondering if anyone else ever saw it.

was a long movie. but was a good movie. didnt read the book but planned on it.

+1 to the well-written story 'bout a *******.

Good read, but if you want to do something like that read and explore your surroundings. He had a way out...

i enjoyed the movie and the book, i agree the book was better but as jim gaffigan would say, "you know what i liked about seeing the movie? i didn't have to read the book."

jon krakauer is a sweet writer, if you liked into the wild, try into thin air.

again, the movie is sweet.

Yep, that dude was a *******. Haven't read the book or seen the movie, but still the dude is a *******. And BTW that fricken Miller Light Commercial about triple hops that is playing in the background right now was also written by a *******.

This ******* announcement brought to you by McKBrew and the letters B,W,Y, and H.

YAnd BTW that fricken Miller Light Commercial about triple hops that is playing in the background right now was also written by a *******.

flavor, aroma and foam... 3 different times, i just can't get over it.

1) Into the Wild is a pretty short book (I finished it in about 3-4 hours), but yes, he was a *******
2) "A Walk in the Woods" is a good book too (I liked the hobo killing knife part). Bill Bryson is an awesome writer, I'm in the middle of "Thunderbolt Kid" right now
3) Into Thin Air is well written - especially if you are unfamiliar with climbing - but I have read maybe 5 different books that all came out after about the same event and pretty much everybody says that Krauker's version is a ton of self serving BS

I read the book years ago and then saw the movie. The movie was worth a watch, but I'd recommend the book over the movie. I think he was naive more than stupid... OK, maybe both equally.

If you want to read a book about a successful guy who did this, try "One Man's Wilderness" by Sam Keith/Richard Proenneke. I think, too, that he (Proenneke) appeals to the homebrewer's spirit because he makes everything by hand and by himself and from natural or scrounged-up materials.

I work with a guy who did the same hike - plenty of the same photos as in the book, like him sitting in front of the bus.

Pretty cool movie, book is excellent, like others said.

The kid is an arrogant jackass. Survival is hard for the experienced not a highschool kid. Its not "adventure" its life and death.

Yuri- on a side note the Helo guys here saw the bus and landed next to it to check it out. They got in trouble cause someone freaking reported them. Who the hell would be out there and who would be pissed they stopped to look at it?

Back