Intermediate to advanced Cider Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallas996

Reaction score
So I have been making genuinely tasty, good "young" ciders for a few years now. I have a pretty discriminating palate as do the majority of my friends, but I want to move to the next level. I have found that my current best recipe tastes best around 1.010 to 1.015 SG. Not a problem with cold crashing, so much as what is the best way to "final" crash it without affecting the flavor or clarity (PS, campden tablets, etc) I have also finally bitten the bullet and purchased a corny system, so I can carb to my taste more easily. So my questions in general I guess would be:

1. Whats the best way to final crash the yeast after cold crash without affecting flavor?

2. What is a good carb volume? (say, in the Crispin, Horsby, Woodchuck ballpark)

3. I see a lot of long primary and secondary ferments as well as bottle conditioning; are these truly garnering a finer product? I ask because my cider disappears very rapidly with much shorter times due to taste. :)

PS. I am sure this info is here somewhere, but I haven't come across anything specific enough in my searches to give me a "warm, fuzzy" about where I need to shoot.

3. Some people don't like dry ciders... I do. Mine goes away, but throw a 6 pack someplace where you'll forget about it.... It will taste amazing 6 months from now... I still don't think its worth saving 6 gallons for 6 months if your out of cider though... Those opportunity costs are just to high!

Just wanted to give this a bump... I am cold crashing my cider right now from 1.068 OG to a 1.013 SG (and its really tasty) Not having done this before I really need to know how to kill of the fermentation without producing off flavors, and pasteurization is not an option; it is 5+ gallons that will be my first "force carb'd" cider so it will be going into a corny as soon as it clears and I know I don't have any further activity. Campden and PS or what?

o 4-5 campden tablets (Potassium Metabisulfite)
o AND 3-4 tsp Potassium Sorbate

Using both will ensure that yeast are stopped and do not restart

Latest posts

Back