Interesting T-day dishes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just curious to know if anyone doesn't recipes besides the usual T-day treats. This year I plan to try a Plum Potato Dumpling recipe someone posted in another forum. Completely different from anything I've ever tried to cook before.

Besides that, it's pretty much the usual for us. I may not be making pies this year. Mom is supposed to furnish the desserts. I'm kind of glad since I have plenty of things to do around the house before company arrives.

For me, it's going to be interesting cause the oven went out and replacement part isn't going to be available till Friday, looks like I'll be trying to cook everything in/on the Kamado

Low-carb/Heart Attack stuffing:

Replace all the bread in traditional stuffing with sage breakfast sausage. Add cranberries, walnuts, celery, chicken stock, apple bits, 2 slices of chopped bacon and their grease, brown the whole thing and cook it inside the turkey.

Between this and all the beer I'm about to drink, it'll be a miracle if I survive the weekend.

I'm trying something new this year: when I'm grilling, I occasionally throw a couple sliced beets on the grill. They're great with olive oil and salt. They're sweet, salty, and the grill char adds a little bitter. It's a flavor trifecta. Same deal with carrots.

So my idea is to grill three or four sliced red beets, three or four sliced golden beets, and a dozen orange carrots, then chop them and mix them together for a colorful root veg medley.

I'm trying something new this year: when I'm grilling, I occasionally throw a couple sliced beets on the grill. They're great with olive oil and salt. They're sweet, salty, and the grill char adds a little bitter. It's a flavor trifecta. Same deal with carrots.

So my idea is to grill three or four sliced red beets, three or four sliced golden beets, and a dozen orange carrots, then chop them and mix them together for a colorful root veg medley.

Turned out pretty darn good.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1480076856.198155.jpg

We usually use a recipe or two from Jeff Smith's book, " The Frugal Gourmet Cooks American". Like the Plains Indian blueberry pudding. I made it some 16 years ago, & now they love it & want it every year. And this southern black lady's recipe for candied sweet taters, then baked with marshmallows on top.
But the real topper this year was a 300 year old recipe for cornbread/oyster stuffing. I replaced the oysters & their liquor with a 1lb roll of Bob Evan's sage sausage! Also had to cook the giblets in 4C of water to get about 3C's to use with finely chopped giblets (& neck) in the stuffing. Turns out about 1 1/2C stock from giblets would've been just right.

One year I made stuffing not with bread crumbs, but with a combo of wild rice, white rice, pistachios (that's right) bacon, celery, onions and lots of tarragon and thyme. Damn, it was good but non-traditional. I now do that only with chickens on non-holidays.

Back