Interesting Show at Basic Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the jan. 27 pre heating grain with strike water seems interesting too, I'm gonna watch both now. thanks for the heads up.

The mashing episode taught me that all of the ways to lauter still make great beer. It was also interesting that different OG's using the same recipe still came out about the same. I should quit worrying about every little point I'm off because it probably doesn't matter.

I'm not sure about the grain heating episode. The dude James interviewed didn't seem all that knowledgeable and didn't even make two beers (one with preheated grain, one without) for a side by side test. I got done listening and felt like it was just a really long intro to a real episode.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that about the pre-heating episode. I actually felt like i wasted 60min of my life. I take ALL the "experiments" that BBR does with a grain of salt, mainly because their scientific design/structure is not sound. Not to mention they usually get too few data points to draw the conclusions they actually make.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that about the pre-heating episode. I actually felt like i wasted 60min of my life. I take ALL the "experiments" that BBR does with a grain of salt, mainly because their scientific design/structure is not sound. Not to mention they usually get too few data points to draw the conclusions they actually make.

I hear you on the "experiment" thing, but I still find them interesting for the most part and it wouldn't be all that scientifically sound if it was just me who did one of the experiments (most likely to happen). But you are absolutely right about taking them with a grain of salt. The mashing episode had 5 data points on different rigs and different brews. Interesting, but what can be concluded?

Back