Interesting brew day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TurboBrew

Reaction score
Another glorious brew day. Couple of suggestions and a question.

1. If you don't have scales and need to measure out a fairly accurate weight, just use the fact that 1mL of water weighs 1g and 28g=1oz. then place your measured amount of water into a plastic cup and float it in a pot/bucket of water. Mark the spot on the cup that the water level is at on the outside, dump out the water, and simply fill the cup with whatever your weighing until it displaces the same amount of water. Brewgenuity.

2. Came up with another grand idea, using my freezing cold pool as a wort chiller. Little tip: If it's windy, place some extra weight on top of your brew pot. Walked outside after a while to check on it and found it lazily drifting about my pool. scary

Now for the question: I missed my original gravity. Supposed to be 1.050, screwed up and brought it down to 1.040. I was tired and forgot to stir before taking a reading the first time. :drunk:. How will this affect my final product? Will it be a little lighter or am I looking at fizzy beer water?

Here's the recipe

Walked outside after a while to check on it and found it lazily drifting about my pool. scary

Now for the question: I missed my original gravity. Supposed to be 1.050, screwed up and brought it down to 1.040. I was tired and forgot to stir before taking a reading the first time. :drunk:. How will this affect my final product? Will it be a little lighter or am I looking at fizzy beer water?

That's funny. The low gravity is because you didn't stir. Assuming you used top-off water.

Yeah I realize that. Don't know why I didn't think to stir it. Anyone ever miss their OG by that much? What was the end result?

OH, I getcha, you added too much water. It might be a little light, but in the end, it will still be beer.

Back