intentional oxidization of dry hopped beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonG

Reaction score
So I have had a long history of being disappointed with my dry hopped beers. They frequently have an unusual aroma that I have trouble describing, sort of like an odd hop sweetness, almost like a hop candy smell that is not really pleasant.

I recently began to think that this aroma is a result of oxidization during my dry hopping process. However, I really don't know what oxidization smells like when dry hopping, and so I am not sure if this is my problem or not.

So, I have been thinking, can I intentionally oxidize a commercial, dry hopped beer, so that I can smell what that smells like, and figure out if that is my problem?

So what if I took two bottles of Union Jack (using one as a control) and opened both, and in one of them I dropped an O2 stone into it and bubbled O2 through it for a min or so, then left them both cold for a week, and then tasted them. Do you think this would result in a strong oxidized hop aroma?

I don't see any reason not to try it, but I am just not sure if it is going to be instructive in the end. Thoughts? I'm sort of assuming no one has tried this before.

JG

I wouldn't expect whatever you attempt to offer you a perfect comparison.

Here's what I would consider a better way to oxidize your beer. Take a teaspoon of 3 percent peroxide and drop that into a bottle of your beer then screw the cap back on... wait a day... drink it up and note the flavour.

Peroxide should oxidize things like crazy... that's what it does best. That's why it's used in rocket fuel to aid in combustion. Just don't drink too much or you might be oxidizing your stomach lol(one teaspoon will react in a beer very fast so no health concern there).

...I'm going to try it now just so I can have the learning experience myself!

Here's what I would consider a better way to oxidize your beer. Take a teaspoon of 3 percent peroxide and drop that into a bottle of your beer then screw the cap back on... wait a day... drink it up and note the flavour.

Peroxide should oxidize things like crazy... that's what it does best.

...I'm going to try it now just so I can have the learning experience myself!

Are you referring to hydrogen peroxide, like you can buy at a grocery store? I don't think I have any on hand, but can pick some up easily. Do you think this would be more effective than pure O2? Definitely let me know if you try it. I guess I am just trying to figure out what hop oxidation really smells like, so I can figure out if that is my problem. Thanks for your thoughts

JG

Is there anything within your brewing process that you suspect may be causing oxidation?

Is there anything within your brewing process that you suspect may be causing oxidation?

Well, I try to be careful to avoid O2 uptake during the process. Typically I have been doing two dry hop additions: the first in primary when fermentation is basically complete (not really ongoing) and then I transfer to a secondary where I dry hop a second time, then transfer into a keg.

I could be picking up some O2 during the primary dry hop, although I suspect that is not a lot. But the transfer to and from the secondary is a possibility, although I do what I can to reduce this.

Nevertheless, I am not sure what is causing this off aroma, and I figure this has the potential to at least help me rule in or rule out oxidation as the problem. I'm not sure how best to do that, short of purchasing a dissolved O2 meter (looked into this, but seems they are at least $160 - a bit more than I want to spend at this point, but may consider in the future).

JG

I actually think a 2-step dry-hop here may be part of the problem. You're knocking out a lot of the dissolved CO2 when you do the first dry-hop, and when you drop hops in the second time, there isn't as much CO2 to offgas and help displace the oxygen you introduced into the headspace.

Sweet is an interesting descriptor for me- oxygen tends to completely flatten hop aroma and flavor when you have enough of it to affect flavor. Oxygen introduction in smaller amounts can cause the formation of diacetyl, which to me can give a slightly sweet character when there's not quite enough to be perceived as "buttery."

Back