Insulation or no insulation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hugenjapan

Reaction score
So I've had this idea for a while of making a mash tun/ kettle all in one pot using BIAB or stainless basket. I make craft brewing systems as a career so this would just be smaller. I was wondering what people thought about insulating it. It's a 22" diameter by 22" tall flat bottom tank with a flared 1.5" hole in the center and a T.C attached to that. I could also make the bottom a slight cone as all I have made so far is the cylindrical shell.

A practical, durable fireable insulated kettle is like the Holy Grail. If you can come up with a way to do it and not have it all catch on fire with repeated use you could do very well. A slightly sloped bottom with a drain would be extra credit ;)

Cheers!

Thanks! Ya I can do it without catching any of it on fire. I do it every day!

Other than making home-modification/customization more difficult, I can't really think of any drawbacks to having an insulated kettle. I would definitely prefer something like that, as I am currently debating the best way to insulate several of my vessels.

Maybe somebody can give us some numbers before and after. I didn’t notice much difference.

I use an induction burner and I tried wrapping a layer of R-13 3" fiberglass around the pot. I took it off after a few batches.

Does it make sense to insulate the walls of your house if you have no roof?

Wynne-R said:
Maybe somebody can give us some numbers before and after. I didn’t notice much difference.

I use an induction burner and I tried wrapping a layer of R-13 3" fiberglass around the pot. I took it off after a few batches.

Does it make sense to insulate the walls of your house if you have no roof?

Maybe you didn't notice much of a difference because you didn't have any cladding outside of the insulation.. I don't know

Latest posts

Back