Insulating keezer hump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBaGZ

Reaction score
I have a GE 7.1 cuft keezer with 4 taps. Since I use pin lock legs I need to put one on the hump, and I am having trouble keeping that keg cold. If I put the temp probe on one of the other kegs the hump keg gets warm. If I put the probe on the hump keg the others will want to freeze. I do also run a bilge blower fan that pulls air from the bottom and blows it across the backs of the shanks, and across the top of the keezer, but that didn't help much. I think the compressor running just makes the hump too warm. I am thinking about making an insulated cover out of foam and some plywood. Not sure what else to do. I know the fan running is keeping the top colder as my taps sweat now, and they didn't before.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1435982880.774539.jpg

Could be a few things...post a pic of the outside of your keezer.

If it's covered with wood there may not be enough of an air gap?
Is the compressor vent covered?
What are you using to control the temp and what is the compressor delay set at?

A piece of foam board insulation on top of the compressor hump certainly wont hurt since the pin locks are shorter.

The outside of the keezer is stock except for the collar. Nothing is covering the vent, and I have a couple inches clearance around it.

I use an STC1000 to control the temp, and I am pretty sure the delay is maxed out at 10 minutes.

Back