Insufficient Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AImhoff88

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch 12 days ago using a butterfly capper and store-bought pop-off bottles (Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams and New Castle). The beer is still somewhat murky (is that ok?). I decided to open one just to see how it tasted. It tasted fine, despite apparently still having active yeast in it. However, there was practically no carbonation. I added 3/4 cup corn sugar after racking the wort. Then I bottled the beers. The seals on the bottles seem to be fine. What could possibly have caused this and is there any remedy for it?

What could possibly have caused this and is there any remedy for it?

I would try time first as a remedy. 3 weeks at 70F is pretty much standard for bottle conditioning and carbonation.

...especially because you say that the beer is still somewhat murky. That's a good indication that the yeasties are still doing their thing. Make sure your storage location is warm enough, as PVH mentioned, and give it another week or two.

I bottled my first batch 12 days ago....

That's why your beer's not carbed yet......

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

You can shake the bottles as well to help out but that does not seem to be an issue since it is still murky.

Back