Instructions. Follow them or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CousinDave

Reaction score
With regards to extract kits. From what I've gleaned the general consensus here is once you've safely tucked away your brew in the primary fermenter disregard the instructions and leave it in the primary three to four weeks, skipping the secondary even if called for. My question is, wouldn't the likes of Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew Supply know what's best went it comes to making their kits? Length of fermentation, processes, etc.

It's a relatively recent change in the homebrewing community to skip the secondary and just do a primary. Many people are still hung up on the fear of autolysis, so that's probably why they still keep it that way.

My question is, wouldn't the likes of Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew Supply know what's best went it comes to making their kits? Length of fermentation, processes, etc.

Short answer, no.

Once it is in the fermenter and the yeast is pitched, you are on the yeast's time and there are too many variables such as OG and fermeting temperature that can play a part in when fermentation is complete IMHO.

1 week is a minimum time, once you have a firm grasp on your system. 2 weeks is a safe bet for anyone. These are for average beers.

I will begin fermentation at proper temps, say 60-65ish, for a couple days then ramp it up a few degrees towards 70ish. Yeast produce their tasty (or untasty) bi-products during the first stages of fermentation. Once the active fermentation stage is reached (Lag phase and Growth phase is finished) then bi-products are not produced at the same level they are during the first stages.

So:

Lag and Growth Phase at lower end of fermentation range (example 65F)
Active Fermentation at higher range of fermentation range (example 70F+)
Sedimentation Phase at fridge temps (example 35-40F)

With this process "I" can reach a ready to bottle/keg product after 5-7 days. 2 weeks if I don't have the time.

On that note though, I would not have a problem leaving the beer in primary for up to 6 months, as long as the temps do not get too high.

Back