Instantly cool liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the late '80s I remember them talking on TV about having something like this built in to the can. Your bear basically had a tube in it that had a large compartment on the bottom, and a small compartment at the top with compressed C02, and you pushed a rod down on the top of the bear that would puncture the small compartment, allowing the C02 to expand in to the larger compartment. This instantly chilled your beer.

They had a prototype on the news or something, but I never saw or heard of it again. I assumed it either cost too much, or the bunny huggers had a fit about the C02 that would get wasted if you didn't recycle it like a refrigerator. I can't see this new one getting much better response in today's 'global warming' mind set.

The biggest problem with systems like this (and the one from the '80s) is ice formation. The one I remember for the '80s had a CO2 chamber and a spiral coolant line in the top. You punctured the chamber and the CO2 expanded through the spiral. You ended up with a chunk of ice in the top of the can and frequent frost-bite. There just isn't enough surface area to conduct the coolth efficiently.

[However, based on my Navy experiences, it is entirely possible to cool a stack of beers using a CO2 fire extinguisher. You blast the cans and then wait until the frost melts from the sides. But, don't do it in a closed compartment.]

david_42 said:
[However, based on my Navy experiences, it is entirely possible to cool a stack of beers using a CO2 fire extinguisher. You blast the cans and then wait until the frost melts from the sides. But, don't do it in a closed compartment.]

I saw that one on Mythbusters. They tested the fastes way to cool a 6er. I think there results went somthing like this:

Fire Extinguisher...15 sec.
Ice water...20 Min.
Ice...2 hours
Fridge...6 hours

Jesse17 said:
I saw that one on Mythbusters. They tested the fastes way to cool a 6er. I think there results went somthing like this:

Fire Extinguisher...15 sec.
Ice water...20 Min.
Ice...2 hours
Fridge...6 hours
Don't forget about:
Ice Water with Rock Salt...5 min

I think this thing is rather useless.

You need to open the beer to chill it. When you open warm beer you get a gusher or at least loose lots of the carbonation.

Kai

Back