Installing hardwood floors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
So, seeing as how we have an eclectic group of skilled self-help people here, I thought I'd ask if anyone has a link to a how-to for installing hardwood floors.

There is a raised walkway about 8 inches high around the room so I will have to make edges and joints. I have a pneumatic floor stapler and a 1.1 hp 8 gallon portable compressor. I also have a compound mitre saw, radial arm saw, table saw, etc., etc.

In the absence of a how-to link, some simple tips and tricks from someone who has done it before would be appreciated.

While I would love to see a good how-to guide for this, a fellow who built his own nine-bedroom duplex with hardwood floors gave me this advice. Hire professionals. Everything was within his ability except the flooring, his reasoning was that the cost of redoing one mistake takes away the savings of doing it yourself.

Nope. This may sound EAC of me, but it's very rare that I can't do a better job than a 'professional'. I'm uber-handy and have excellent carpentry skills. I'm not asking because I'm concerned about doing a bad job, but just to benefit from other's experiences. I want bragging rights from all the renos that I'm doing. Thanks for the tip anyway.

For carpeting, I'd agree that hiring it is the way to go, but wood floors are easily within the range of a DIY person. I don't have any links, but am curious if you're going to use a pre-finished product or not. I helped a friend install a pre-finished one and it was really easy; similar to doing ceramic tile. The unfinished are considerably harder, but I think they look nicer.

Fingers said:
Nope. This may sound EAC of me, but it's very rare that I can't do a better job than a 'professional'. I'm uber-handy and have excellent carpentry skills. I'm not asking because I'm concerned about doing a bad job, but just to benefit from other's experiences. I want bragging rights from all the renos that I'm doing. Thanks for the tip anyway.

That may be, but I just saw two guys install maple hardwood in a couple HUGE rooms in no time today, and their installation is perfect. You may come close, but I doubt you'd do better, and definitely not faster.

No, it's raw T&G milled lumber. In fact, it's not even hardwood but it was easier to ask the question that way. It's regular spruce that was planed and routered. I have to sand and finish it myself.

I agree about the carpeting. I've done it myself and had it professionaly done. In any areas that matter, I'd get a pro.

Bernie Brewer said:
That may be, but I just saw two guys install maple hardwood in a couple HUGE rooms in no time today, and their installation is perfect. You may come close, but I doubt you'd do better, and definitely not faster.

You're right, a perfect job can't be improved upon. But time is not a factor at all so I expect I could do at least as good a job but if it's not absolutely perfect, it will be close. The reason I made that comment is that I've seen too many professionals that either don't care or can't do a proper job. In any case the savings I'll get by doing it myself will be worth it. It always is.

I say go for it Fingers! I have mass wood working skills, but never laid a plank of flooring in my life & I just got done laying laminate through out my entire house, minus the bedrooms, and it was the easiest project I have tackled in a long time. Time consuming but easy. (I know it's not the same as hard wood, but I had to go with what I could afford and what the housing market in my neighborhood would allow)

Cheers

I've done lots of laminate and you're right, wop31, it's really easy. Putting in hardwood isn't quite the same, though. I do plan on doing it myself. It's going in my new bar. You guys will all get to see it when it's done.

Hey, that's awesome, Bernie! Thanks a lot! I'll look it over after the hockey game. Or what's passing for a hockey game right now. *sigh*

Latest posts

Back