Input on simple electric brewing setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gritsak

Reaction score
For several years i've been brewing 5-6 gallon batches on the stove top with the help of a 2000W 120v heatstick. Recently it starting tripping my GFCI, so i decide to upgrade my system. My plan is to use a 5500W 240v element (mounted using triclovers and element enclosure from brewhardware) along with an element controller from stilldragon (http://stilldragon.com/index.php/accessories/diy-controller-kit.html). This is meant to be a really simple setup- all i want to be able to do is control boil.

Couple question- First, any direct experience with that controller? Will it fit my needs? My second and main question relates to the wiring setup. I plan to use a 4 prong drier outlet as my power source. However, i need to also use it for the drier. I've heard that GFCI and driers don't get along very well (i.e., the drier commonly trips the GFCI), so i need something that is removable when not brewing. Is my only or best option a spa panel? Is there a particular panel that people recommend now-a-days with a good cost/quality ratio?

Thanks

Don't buy one of those. Get one of these instead:
Auber SSR power controller

It is a much better option. It does not generate a lot of electrical noise, it is linear, the potentiometer does not carry mains voltage, and it has a nice display.
In short do not go the SSVR route, get a proper SSR.

Edit: The page you are referring to states that it is an SSR, but they're lying. That is an SSVR. You can read up on the difference in how they operate, or you can just trust me. You want a proper SSR and controller.

Don't buy one of those. Get one of these instead:
Auber SSR power controller

It is a much better option. It does not generate a lot of electrical noise, it is linear, the potentiometer does not carry mains voltage, and it has a nice display.
In short do not go the SSVR route, get a proper SSR.

Edit: The page you are referring to states that it is an SSR, but they're lying. That is an SSVR. You can read up on the difference in how they operate, or you can just trust me. You want a proper SSR and controller.

Thanks for the suggestion. The appeal of the stilldragon option is that it is sold as a "kit"..which is nice for people like me without a lot of electrical knowledge. What all would a need to make this work as device that i can simple turn the knob to adjust the boil? I assume the controller,an SSR, heatsink, and box to mount it all? Anything else?

Yeah, that's about it. You'd need some wire of suitable gauge of course and you might want to get some cable glands.
Get a decent SSR. 40 amp should do it. Don't get a 25A one, even if it technically is within spec, you want some margin. And don't get the cheap chinese ones (Fotek). They work, but a lot of people has had problems with them.
Lastly, this is not rocket science, BUT if you are inexperienced in wiring yourself, I would highly recommend getting some assistance for the build. It is one thing to make it work and another to also make it reasonably safe.

Good luck!

Any input on the GFCI issue? Is my only option to go with a spa panel? I've look at the inline GFCI options, but they seem to be ridiculously expensive.

Ive been using a SSVR boil controller for many years on my "other" hobby. works a treat and is cheap to put together. You can do it for under $30 if you have some of the stuff already.
Not going against Alphomega but they do the job just fine, if wanted you can also use a second potentiometer to make super fine adjustments although not necessary

Any input on the GFCI issue? Is my only option to go with a spa panel? I've look at the inline GFCI options, but they seem to be ridiculously expensive.

Sorry, I can't really help with the GFCI. If it trips, then you probably do have a creep current to ground. The element would be a top candidate.
I'd hold off on the whole spa panel thing. Get the parts you need, plan it out and decide what size box you need. A spa panel seems to me like it would be bigger than needed.
Integrating a GFCI in the build would be a good possibility. I don't know the price difference in panel type ones and inline type ones, but if the former is cheaper then by all means, have it integrated.

Ive been using a SSVR boil controller for many years on my "other" hobby. works a treat and is cheap to put together. You can do it for under $30 if you have some of the stuff already.
Not going against Alphomega but they do the job just fine, if wanted you can also use a second potentiometer to make super fine adjustments although not necessary

Well, I'm not disputing that they work, but they are not the best tool for the job and the small price difference does not make it justifiable.
Here in Sweden, those would be illegal. They produce high powered EMI and RFI that are propagated along the electrical wiring (also acting as en antenna). I don't know the legality in the US, but there is just no need for that. There is no gain. Also, the high side connected pot is a safety issue.
I'll make the comparison with lead based paint. If you use it and are happy with it, then fine. But you probably should advise someone asking for assistance in choosing paint to get it.
So yeah, I would not recommend one of those to someone looking to buy a controller.

Back