Input needed: This Weeks Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlanginDueces

Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere but I think it is probably more appropriate for this section.

Getting things ready for brewing this weekend and would like some feedback on my recipe since it is the first time I'm not following someone else's exactly. It will be a 6.5 gal boil.

Steep at 154 F for 45 min:

1lbs crystal 120L
1 lbs crystal 75L
8 oz Carapils Malt
8 oz 2 row

Bring to a boil add 16 oz light DME and 1.25 oz Cluster Hop Pellets

Add 7lbs extra light LME at 45 min

Add Whirfloc at 5 min

Wyeast 1968 London ESB 1500ml starter

Ferment at 66 degrees until SG stabilized. Rack to secondary and add .25 oz each ground cinnamon and nutmeg. 7 days then Keg.

Got a style you're shooting for?

edit: I just plugged it into brewtoad, It looks like a winter warmer with the spices. But It fits into the Strong Scotch ale category if you dont spice it. It would be sweet, very caramelized.

I was going for something like harpoons winter warmer, but am very inexperienced with creating recipes. I guess I'm just trying to make sure I'm not setting myself up for something that is going to taste terrible. My last extract beer tasted good but very weak/light so I'm trying to avoid that.

You don't mention what style you are aiming for, if any, so it's hard to judge - I am guessing a winter warmer of some kind, yes? Overall it should work, though with 2.5 lbs of crystal/caramel malts it may be even sweeter than you intend.

What would you suggest to substitute some of the Crystal for? I don't remember Harpoons Winter Warmer being overly sweet so I may have misjudged.

That's a lot of crystal malt. I would cut back on that some. There really isn't much need to use carapils with crystal malt, either.

I would substitute a pound of toasted or light roasted malt for a pound of the crystal. Victory or Biscuit malt would make it a winner!

Or even some home toasted malt, just pop some 2-row in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-30 minutes

Ideally, I would want to do:

8 oz C-120
8 oz C-75
1 lb Victory

Keep the rest the same except add the LME at flameout, or 5 minutes.

roastquake said:
I would substitute a pound of toasted or light roasted malt for a pound of the crystal. Victory or Biscuit malt would make it a winner! Or even some home toasted malt, just pop some 2-row in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-30 minutes Ideally, I would want to do: 8 oz C-120 8 oz C-75 1 lb Victory Keep the rest the same except add the LME at flameout, or 5 minutes.

I'm taking your advice and picked up some victory malt!

Back