input, criticism or comments wanted on recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david83

Reaction score
1.00 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 13.33 %
3.50 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 46.67 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 13.33 %
0.25 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.33 %
1.00 oz Tradition [6.00 %] (60 min) Hops 21.0 IBU
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
7.00 oz Malto-Dextrine (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.50 lb Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 20.00 %
0.25 lb Brown Sugar, Dark (50.0 SRM) Sugar 3.33 %
1 Pkgs Belgian Golden Ale (White Labs #WLP570) Yeast-Ale
something i threw together on brew smith and would like some input on what you think

Well this is just me but the malto dextrine and all the simple sugars are competing one thickening and one thinning. Also the pilsner I wouldn't think will do much just steeping it.

This is just me maybe someone else will think different.

I'm assuming you are making a Belgian by your yeast selection. If so, what is your OG and it looks like it might be kind of dark for a golden ale?

the og is 1.048,est color is12.9 so yes my mistake it would be to dark for a golden ale thanks for the catch rivercitybrewer.and ill loose the pilsner also other than that...?

something i threw together

That's just what it looks like. You are asking for a critique. First you need to tell us what you are trying to do. Here are a few initial thoughts:

I'm not a big fan of beers made with amber and dark extracts. Use light extract as your base and get the additional color from steeping specialty malts.

Agree with snazzy that the ingredients are potentially fighting one another. The malto dextrin seems superfluous, especially with all that extract and crystal malt. One quarter pound of pils is for what? It's just going to get lost in there.

Also agree with RCBrewer that perhaps the closest thing to style based on the yeast is a Belgian Golden but it's way too dark. Belgian specialty ale might be closer but that beer is still on the dark side.

Here is a modified recipe to give you some ideas. :mug:

5 lbs Light DME
.5 lb CaraVienna
.25 lb Special-B or CaraAroma
.25 lb CarafaII
1 lb Honey
1 oz Hallertau Tradition @ 60 min
.75 oz Corriander @ 5 min
WLP-570 Yeast

thanks for the words of wisdom biged,i would like something light with a hint of honey but not to over whelming.has for what you wrote what if i were to use a extra light dme?

thanks for the words of wisdom biged,i would like something light with a hint of honey but not to over whelming.has for what you wrote what if i were to use a extra light dme?

Sure, you could do that. That's about a 5% beer. Adding another pound of DME will add another ~1% alcohol. Re honey, if you want some actual honey flavor buy some good wildflower or varietal honey rather than the stuff in the plastic bear at the supermarket.

are you using that same program to figure this stuff out?and i think i wouldnt add anymore dme i dont necesarilly need the extra 1%.and do you mean buying honey from a lhbs rather than the stuff at the grocery store?

are you using that same program to figure this stuff out?and i think i wouldnt add anymore dme i dont necesarilly need the extra 1%.and do you mean buying honey from a lhbs rather than the stuff at the grocery store?

You can find some good quality honey at the certain grocery stores. I think he is just saying that the wildflower mix you find in the bears just won't add much in the ways of flavor.

Back