inlay temp gauge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex510

Reaction score
I have a 3-inch dial face thermometer gauge that I ordered for my 5-gallon orange rubber made water cooler from homebrew hardware. it did not come with the bolt or washer. I am just going to the hardware store by me. Any idea of what kind of washer I need? do I need 2 washers for the front and back?

Buy two washers just in case. Then two more of different sizes. I never have enough washers in my house. They're real cheap though.

I am not sure about a cooler but on my keggle I have a washer on the outside and a hex nut and an oring on the inside. I think the oring would be helpful.

Inlay meaning it's going through the side wall somewhere? Did you mean a rubber washer initially? I was thinking SS.

Threads are often 1/2" NPT but I think I had a smaller one that was 1/4" NPT? Do have a manufacturer or model number for the thermometer?

hi dead yes, I will be going thru the sidewall of the orange round cooler. I think its 1/2 inch.

So if the threads are a 1/2" NPT, I measured some fittings around the threads with a digital caliper and got about 0.81-0.83". A 7/8" hole would accept those, I think that's the usual suggestion. Hex nuts for 1/2" NPT sometimes have an o-ring channel and that's why I mentioned the o-ring. But a flat (not necessarily thin) rubber washer works too, I have some fittings with those too. The inner diameter there would need to be about 7/8" and the outer bigger than your drilled hole. As far as a metal washer, I find sometimes on the outside these help to stabilize the fitting. I have three vessels, all keggles, with multiple ports and sometimes different types of washers (rubber and SS) and o-rings. You might have some flexibility in the walls of the cooler that affects things. Perhaps a wider (Outer diameter -inner diameter) washer helps there to spread out the force. Thinner (like paper) will conform more to the curvature of the cooler.

But having an extra washer is always a good idea in case you drop it, put it down where you can't find it, need it later. I bought a box of o-rings either off Amazon or from harbor freight which has a bunch of different o-rings. Those are numbered though.

here are so pics

Attachments

• DSCN2875.JPG
    DSCN2875.JPG
    767.1 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN2872.JPG
    DSCN2872.JPG
    821.5 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN2876.JPG
    DSCN2876.JPG
    903.8 KB · Views: 27
hey, dead thank you! I just ordered. I know I need a hole saw bit to cut the orange part. My question is what size drill bit should I use for the hole on the white wall of the cooler?

13/16" =0.8125" and you could probably screw it in with that since it's plastic but you'd be fine with 7/8". Caveat is if you used a hole saw at 13/16" and it didn't work, you'd have trouble with the next size hole saw as the guide bit wouldn't have anything to grab. At that size hole, regular drill bits are available too if you need them. Hole saw is probably cleaner though. Go slow and keep it square so it doesn't skip with the hole saw.

I used a step bit on all my keggles. I used a hole saw on my jockey box but shanks are a little little larger.

I installed a ton of 1/2" NPT through-wall fittings on my three kettles and nearly every hole was 13/16". 7/8" would be sloppy imo, and especially through a plastic vessel might be important to avoid...

Cheers!

I installed a ton of 1/2" NPT through-wall fittings on my three kettles and nearly every hole was 13/16". 7/8" would be sloppy imo, and especially through a plastic vessel might be important to avoid...

Cheers!
That's just you on the sloppy call. The outside diameter of 1/2" npt is 0.840", while 13/16" is 0.8125". Sure it's not going to be an exact hole but technically 13/16" is too small (almost 1/32"). 7/8" is 0.875" which is ever so slightly over 1/32". Being made of plastic it wouldn't be difficult to expand the hole if needed. I have many a time though tried to make holes just perfect and spent inordinate amounts of time pulling wires through conduit or conduit and pipes through walls.

You've got choices, happy brewing!

hello to all happy wed
The parts came in .I have a question tho. where on the keg\water cooler should I place the gauge? thanks in advance

Attachments

• DSCN2885.JPG
    DSCN2885.JPG
    968.2 KB · Views: 24
Frankly, I've been wondering about that since the first post :) I have the 10 gallon brother to that cooler, and it has all the same ribbing.

So for sure any through-fitting is totally going to depend on the liner seal, so maybe pick a height that'd land in the middle of your typical mash, but drill between the pair of "ribs" so hopefully whatever goes on the outside will at least sit flat-ish...

Cheers!

Hi all
I installed the gauge but it leaks. Any ideas to stop the leak?

Back