Inkbird IPB-16S settings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it's possible to set a maximum power output for the element (for RIMS, to lessen the risk of scorching)?

Sorry I can't answer your question, but I'm looking at getting the Inkbird IPB-16S. Do you own one? Would you recommend it? Thanks, and Cheers!

I've used it a few times and I like it. Once you get used to the interface, it's really easy to change settings. The buttons to turn heating and pumping on/off are nice.
The default PID settings are pretty reasonable, but I tuned mine to my system.
I calibrated the probe and it was only off by about 0.3°F
I have no regrets or issues with it so far.

Keep in mind it's limited to 120V, at least without some kind of modification.

To answer my own question:
It is not able to set a maximum heat output while in an automatic control mode.

120v elements shouldnt run ANY risk of scorching if they're LWD or ULWD and the wort is moving. Theres just not enough power there to have to worry.

But to answer your question, no i'm fairly certain all the Inkbird IPB's run on an on/off cycle in terms of the element, and cant reduce the amount of actual power going to the element through a manual mode. Its either 100% on or 100% off, and the controller takes care of temperature changes by controlling how fast it turns the element on and off

I've used it a few times and I like it. Once you get used to the interface, it's really easy to change settings. The buttons to turn heating and pumping on/off are nice.
The default PID settings are pretty reasonable, but I tuned mine to my system.
I calibrated the probe and it was only off by about 0.3°F
I have no regrets or issues with it so far.

Keep in mind it's limited to 120V, at least without some kind of modification.
I own a Blichmann HopRocket (120V/2kW) and I have read of at least one person (Amazon FAQ) using the IPB-16S with the HopRocket in a RIMS application, and he said it worked nicely. I'm considering getting one, but I'm also looking pretty hard at this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VPX9AEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PUDKB6S5DQAJ&psc=1

Last edited:
I own a Blichmann HopRocket (120V/2kW) and I have read of at least one person (Amazon FAQ) using the IPB-16S with the HopRocket in a RIMS application, and he said it worked nicely. I'm considering getting one but it costs $279, ouch!
Just be careful of the wattage of a hop rocket vs the max wattage of the IPB. The original IPB16 is definitely only wired for 15amps, and not 20. Wiring gauge is slightly too small for what 20 gauge would call for

So would you smart folks recommend the ipb-16s using a 110v 20amp Rims rocket?

If not, any other compact alternatives?

Didn’t realize that most controllers are 15 amp before I bought my newest toy.

So would you smart folks recommend the ipb-16s using a 110v 20amp Rims rocket?

If not, any other compact alternatives?

Didn’t realize that most controllers are 15 amp before I bought my newest toy.

Truth be told, it might not even work. I'm like 95% positive the main fuse for the device is 15amps. So if you have an element and pump that draws over 15amps, the fuse will probably keep blowing.

Also you have to consider the pump. If you're controlling a pump off of the other outlet, it's current draw will have to be added to the element draw. So if its a 120 watt pump at 120v, thats an additional 1amp of power draw on top of whatever the element, and everything inside the IPB16, draws.

Back