Injuries sustained while brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Raugatis your avatar looks like Jack of the Wood's Green Man ale logo from an awesome brewpub in Asheville, looks great!

face.gif

The Green Man is an ancient pagan figure represented by the face or other incarnations including Robin Hood, a Green Knight and John Barleycorn.

Green Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd like to try out the brewery in Asheville. I hear it's a cool place. I was going to call mine Green Man until I found out about that place. That's why I went with The Wildwood Brewery but with the same motif. I'm having an original Green Man face painted for my logo.
Here are some label ideas I've been tossing around.
beerGrainHarvest1.gif

green_knight_.jpg

Sorry about the hijack.

The class 6 is the where you go to get most of your alcohol on base. The px/bx doesn't really carry that stuff and the commissary doesn't have much either.

Our NEX (Navy exchange) at North Island had a formidable alcohol selection, and if you are willing to go across the bay to 32nd street there is a huge NEX bottle shop.

I'd like to try out the brewery in Asheville. I hear it's a cool place.

Green Man at Jack of the Wood is but 1 of several craft breweries here in Asheville. Shoot me a PM before you pop in town, I'll buy the first round. :mug:

No real injuries here. I'm strongly in the Better Bottle camp, so no glass carboy stories. I did have to reach into my strike water yesterday to retrieve my thermapen. I thought I had saved it, but although it still works, the numbers are only loosely related to the temperature now. Thankfully, I had two thermometers.

Maybe I'll get one of the new Splashproof Thermapens. I wonder it they are dunkproof??

A buddy of mine poured the hot side of a heat exchanger down the back of my leg and on my feet (waring flip flops). Burned me pretty bad, but no real damage, plus we were pretty drunk, that day included a bottle of DFH 120! I think we got more of a laugh out of it that anything!

Oh an I grab the hot side of everything, yes i know, I should learn my lesson but those pesky hot pads are all the way inside and I dont want to use them.

A few years ago, after having had all of my brewing equipment in storage for several years, I decided to brew a batch. Not having the forethought to check the integrity of the hose clamps on my immersion chiller, I was unpleasantly surprised when the hot side hose slipped off during the cooldown, soaking the shoulder of my t-shirt and scalding the skin underneath. That was painful for weeks. Good times!

The typical burns and scrapes and i had a carboy explode in my kitchen.It put a three to four inch hole in the ceiling and i still havent got all the hop particals off.

I have burned my fingers and forearm pretty bad. Not to mention the liver and kidneys taking a hit on brew day. I have also broken two 6.5 gallon carboys and who knows how many hydrometers.

It boggles my mind that we can survive brew days with all the exploding carboys and Napalm like wort burns........ Going to see if I can get a bomb squad uniform off ebay.

I switched to all-grain brewing in the morning so I don't drink while I brew which is a good thing. While doing extract at night I had a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout (8.3%) amongst other beers and actually fell up my stairs. Not sure how I did that.

Must be all that caffeine in the air from the Cappuccino. Funny story.

A minor burn on a finger from stupidly almost moving my turkey fryer stand by the leg, after a flame had been burning on the metal for an hour.

I was lucky but a brewbuddy of mine got a really nast burn on his whole hand by doing the same thing, only managing to grip the leg of his before the flesh started cooking.

Stuck my hands in a 155 degree mashtun to fix the braid, and my hands looked like lobster claws for a few hours.

LMAO Revvy, about what pint were you on, when you dove into that Mash Tun with both hands? I usually think; one hand, really fast... (I'll be alright).

My only one so far, the ol "Carboy Trick". It was full of sanitizer (lucky it wasn't beer) and I touched the corner on the concrete....made that sound and I let it go. Not before the Great White knawed on my leg a bit. Took a while to get it to stop bleeding.

I was bottling in my apartment kitchen. I had the bottling bucket by the sink and my bottles on the floor. I must've been on my haunches crouched over for a really long time because both my legs fell asleep. When I stood up to grab my caps for the bottles my legs buckled and I stumbled into the wall kicking over about ten of my newly bottled beers. No injury, but if the wall wasn't there I would've been flat on my face.

I was bottling in my apartment kitchen. I had the bottling bucket by the sink and my bottles on the floor. I must've been on my haunches crouched over for a really long time because both my legs fell asleep. When I stood up to grab my caps for the bottles my legs buckled and I stumbled into the wall kicking over about ten of my newly bottled beers. No injury, but if the wall wasn't there I would've been flat on my face.

LMAO! Thats hillarious!

In addition to the minor burns, just an injury to my kitchen floor -

I was sanitizing a 5 gal carboy, so it was full of water and bleach. I went to pour it out into a pail. The carboy was wet and I lost my grip on the bottom. The bottom only fell a few inches, but it took a large piece out of my tile floor, and the whole floor shook. The carboy was, amazingly, undamaged.

I guess I would rather have a chipped tile than 5 gals of water and broken glass to clean up. To this day I can't believe that carboy didn't break. I'm still using it.

brewing in sandles, lifted the lid on my brewpot right as it foamed over and it splashed my foot with some boiling wort. that hurt. then theirs the time when i noticed the valve on the kettle was dripping a little (hardly noticable) so i grabbed it and by the time my hand had a good enough grip to turn it i noticed it was hot. blisters on the fingers. thats about it and that was all in the same brew day. i brewed at night after drinking to much beer.

Raugatis your avatar looks like Jack of the Wood's Green Man ale logo from an awesome brewpub in Asheville, looks great!

face.gif

Asheville is teh ****. I like Green Man IPA. I went by Pisgah Brewing a couple weeks back, and was surprised. Too bad we don't have anything cool like a little brewery in a warehouse or steel building like Pisgah or French Broad.

The entire bottom of a glass carboy full of hot wort came off as I was carrying it, hitting my foot. I don't use glass carboys anymore.

I was carrying a full, uncovered pot of 170*F sparge water out back to the MLT when it splashed on my stomach. My t-shirt did a good job of holding the hot water onto my skin. I have a hand sized red spot there to this day.

:(

One time after transferring wort out of the keggle that was on a burner I dumped in some water to clean, then picked it up by the still hot skirt to dump it... luckily it had cooled somewhat so didn't burn too bad.

I've also had boiling wort hit me when i pulled off a QD without shutting off the ball valve on my new system.

I had that exact thing happen and the stream caught my on the inner thigh just 4" below the jewels. It didn't burn me though because I was wearing loose jeans. Thank you 1999 fashion.

I haven't hurt myself yet, other than getting undiluted sanstar in a cut (yes, it hurts). but I have melted the wiring under my electric stove. Lesson learned, do not boil 6 gallons on your electric range without a canning element.

Ohhhh, I just thought of two more, quite strange injuries. I was sanitizing a fermenter with a wide top on it using starsan. While swishing it around in the fermenter the starsan swished right out of the opening in the top and went right into both of my eyes (i was also wearing contacts). Pending further doom I ran inside, partially blind and tried to rinse out my eyes with contact solution. OUCH, putting contact solution in already messed up eyes really hurts. My vision was blurry for the rest of the night, but all was fine in the AM.

Second injury, dont laugh to hard guys.
-I was kegging something, cant remember what though. But I had spilled a ton of sanitizer on my slick concrete floor while walking away from the keg I slipped on the sanitizer. Ok, picture this, me falling to the floor and reaching for my table/pool table and a shelf on the other side of the room. I missed the shelf and table both, however I managed to grab the 2x4 hanging off the table. While falling I looked at the table and 2x4 just in time for it to smack me right square in the effing nose then i continued to fall and smash into the concrete floor. I now had a throbbing nose and a sore butt, walked inside to what I thought woul dbe for sure a bloody nose but to my relief it was just a little swollen and only chunks of blood came out.... If that was on video it was have won $100,000 on Americas Funniest Homevideos.... wow. You cant make that **** up.

brewing in sandles, lifted the lid on my brewpot right as it foamed over and it splashed my foot with some boiling wort. that hurt. then theirs the time when i noticed the valve on the kettle was dripping a little (hardly noticable) so i grabbed it and by the time my hand had a good enough grip to turn it i noticed it was hot. blisters on the fingers. thats about it and that was all in the same brew day. i brewed at night after drinking to much beer.
I plan on brewing this afternoon and I will probably be in gym shorts and sandals. Maybe I should put on shoes...and socks.

Lost all the hair on my forearm from frostbite while trying to reach into the recirculate well to fix the fitting on my submersible pump while chilling my wort with dry ice cooled water. Very cold and my arm felt like it was being poked by a million needles at the same time.

Lost all the hair on my forearm from frostbite while trying to reach into the recirculate well to fix the fitting on my submersible pump while chilling my wort with dry ice cooled water. Very cold and my arm felt like it was being poked by a million needles at the same time.

Ouch.

Did that work well? Sounds like an interesting method...

Dry ice cooled water? Come now, even with salt you aren't going to get that below a few degrees Celsius.

Dry ice cooled ACETONE, on the other hand, will hit -78°C. Now that's some serious cold. :rockin:

Dry ice cooled water? Come now, even with salt you aren't going to get that below a few degrees Celsius.

Dry ice cooled ACETONE, on the other hand, will hit -78°C. Now that's some serious cold. :rockin:

But would dry ice cooled acetone give you that cool rolling fog effect? I can just imagine brewing on Halloween and using this chilling method, out on the front sidewalk...

But would dry ice cooled acetone give you that cool rolling fog effect? I can just imagine brewing on Halloween and using this chilling method, out on the front sidewalk...

Yup, but only until the acetone gets down to -78°C....then it will just sit there and bubble a bit every once in a while as the acetone absorbs heat from the surroundings.....dry ice in water will bubble for a good long time, on the other hand, because the water can never cool down to -78°C.....

Burning the sides of my arm and fingers with hot wort and boiling water. That's about it I think. Oh, and punching my fire alarm for going off once every 10 minutes for 6 seconds. It went off after I was done stove-top boiling and brought the pot to an iced bath, as I was walking to the kitchen to get the ice. I punched that alarm good. Still have a memento on my knuckle lol.

Burning the sides of my arm and fingers with hot wort and boiling water. That's about it I think. Oh, and punching my fire alarm for going off once every 10 minutes for 6 seconds. It went off after I was done stove-top boiling and brought the pot to an iced bath, as I was walking to the kitchen to get the ice. I punched that alarm good. Still have a memento on my knuckle lol.

I punched mine too, once. It took more damage than I did (had to buy a new one). I may have punched it with a roll of duct tape, which would explain the lack of injury on my part.

Second degree steam burn, doing a brew on premesis with a 15gallon keg and first time doing a 10 gallon batch and using lme, had a crazy hotbreak and almost boil over. Didn't have a spray bottle so I was stirring and blowing my Ass off and burnt the crap out of my hand lol

Quite a few stories here about bare feet/sandals....not to self: wear safe footwear when brewing.

My only casualty so far was leaning my ever growing beer belly into a pot boiling on my gas stove while reaching into the overhead cabinet. The gas flame chewed up the lower half of my way cool Marvel Superhero collage t-shirt. My only indication that something was wrong was the smell combination of burning hair and cotton. I pulled back, only to see the lower fewe inches of the shirt erupt in flames. No injuries at all to me, just one of my favorite t shirts. Luckily, wifey went to the mall and bought me a new one the very next day.

Too bad they took down the thread of the guy that heats his carboy in the oven, then adds 212 deg boiling wort, then carries it outside to cool in the cold air. That sort of idea would have kept this thread lively well into the year 2012.

Too bad they took down the thread of the guy that heats his carboy in the oven, then adds 212 deg boiling wort, then carries it outside to cool in the cold air. That sort of idea would have kept this thread lively well into the year 2012.

Wait... Are you serious? Is there actually a guy who does that.:confused:

I mean, sounds a little crazy. Talk about dedication to your craft.

Latest posts

Back