[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So got this up and running and have been using my Samsung 10.1 tablet as a view (I only have 2 taps currently, and only one beer :( ) But its been working great. Got everything working and created a shortcut on my homescreen to take me directly to my tap page. Heres a screenshot

Must be a skydiver

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was trying to be cheap and lazy by using a free web host. I'm sure there are just too many limitations for it to work properly. I'll do a local install. Thanks for your feedback and help!

Hey, with a remote web server from a hosting company, especially if it is a "shared hosting" account, they will not give you root MySQL access which won't let our installer run.

Ray,
I have a AT&T uverse gateway. And it took me quite a few times to get my pi to connect. Eventually it connected. I can't tell why it just all of a sudden connected. If you have a another router that you can put it into AP mode so it is repeats you ATT signal that might be a option for you. I will test my pi w/ my AT&T later today and see if I can find a fix for you.

Thanks for trying to help. I've tried connecting at least a hundred times over the past few days. I don't have another router but am willing to buy one if that's what it takes. All assistance is appreciated.

How about taking off encryption(as in open network) to test?

Good idea, should have thought of that myself...
I set my Uverse gateway up to be and Open System with no encryption and the RPI still does not connect. I have tried multiple Edimax units as well as a different RPi board and a LB Link unit in place of the Edimax. Using WICD-CURSES shows great signal strength. For some reason the RPi simply will not connect. Other devices work just fine. How would the Uverse gateway differentiate between other wireless devices and the RPi? I'm in way over my head here.

Ray,

I know the last time I connected was w/ Raspbmc installed. I am almost done with the honey do list and I will check then.

Jerry

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

How would the Uverse gateway differentiate between other wireless devices and the RPi? I'm in way over my head here.

It can't. It can only see the MAC address of the NIC, which probably doesn't mean a whole lot to it.

Unless it's looking up the MAC in a global registry, the Uverse gateway has no way of knowing that the NIC is plugged into a Pi or a blender or an exercise ball.

Ray,

I was able to get mine to connect right away. I had my settings on wpa2-psk w/ ccmp. Did you do the static ip setup already by chance?

Jerry

Once everything is up and running, can I just boot it up without an Internet connection and raspberry pints on the rpi without it on my network? Can in not run alone? It won't let me.

Once everything is up and running, can I just boot it up without an Internet connection and raspberry pints on the rpi without it on my network? Can in not run alone? It won't let me.

There is no requirement for an internet connection nor an internet network.

There is no requirement for an internet connection nor an internet network.

It was working perfectly before, but now it when I go into chrome and type the IP address, it just says we page not found and no host.

Sweet! Thank you. Again, this all new to me.

Ray,

I was able to get mine to connect right away. I had my settings on wpa2-psk w/ ccmp. Did you do the static ip setup already by chance?

Nope, I never progressed beyond trying to get the wifi to connect.

I gave up and bought another router and set it up as 'router behind router" on the ATT gateway and the RPi connected on the first try and every time since. There's obviously something very weird about the ATT 3801 gateway.

Yeah it has to be. I have the 3800 so I have a different model than you do. I do the router behind the router as we'll. I can't stand the att uverse modem.

This is great guys. Thanks for all your work. Only a few problems but got it fixed by reading some of the other posts. I'll probably use it on a cheap Colby tablet I have laying around.
Now I just need more taps!!!
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393119729.045439.jpg

Took a little bit of messing around with but I got it figured out. I just set it up on my main TV. I plan in picking up a 22" samsung monitor for under a $100 at Costco.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

1393123958316.jpg

It was the receiver, I had another wireless keyboard gathering dust and when I put that receiver in the pi it recognized it right away. Just a weird thing, it is on its way back to Amazon.

I have everything up and running, but now the wifi isn't working. On reboot, it seems to work for a few minutes then the blue light on the dongle turns off. It worked great all the way through setup but after a day of running it isn't working anymore.

How do I know if it is the dongle or the Raspberry Pi that it's the problem?

If you have a computer test it on that. You can also move the dongle to the other USB port and test it there. These test will test the pi, the dongle and the USB ports. Are you over clocking the pi?

So just wanted to give an update, I have my pi sitting plugged in on my desk and its working wonderfully. I use my tablet as my display and I have already updated the tap list a couple times (just kicked a keg and put a new one on today). The logo was a little weird and required a restart on the pi to get it to show but its on there and working. Overall I am very pleased and cant wait for the flow meter addition

So just wanted to give an update, I have my pi sitting plugged in on my desk and its working wonderfully. I use my tablet as my display and I have already updated the tap list a couple times (just kicked a keg and put a new one on today). The logo was a little weird and required a restart on the pi to get it to show but its on there and working. Overall I am very pleased and cant wait for the flow meter addition

All it required was a hard refresh (Ctrl + F5). :)

I've addressed this, and others, in Hotfix-1.0.1, which I intend to release tonight.

Hey thadius, want to give you the heads up that the newest version of raspi-config is very different than the install instructions.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I wrote the raspi-config instructions using an image I pulled from Adafruit. It matched what I remember seeing from NOOBS v1.3.3.

raspi-config_main.png

Do you happen to have an image of the new raspi-config? I'd tear down one of my Pis, but I'm about to start my brew day. :\

I was going to open a issue in GitHub. I can change it in wordpress. It just will be later today. Take care of you brew day.

Afraid I need some help. After step 5, I reboot and get a full page of:

It works!

This is the default web page for this server.

The web server software is running but no content has been added, yet.

I don't know how to navigate from here - there is nothing else on the screen. I've rebooted (unplugged) and quickly open file manager before it goes to this screen again. I typed in /var/www which shows the index.html file but it won't allow me to delete it (permission denied).

Thanks in advance -

We've discussed this one a couple times in the last few pages, but here goes.

Leave Fullscreen mode in Chrome (your taplist) by pressing F11.
Close or minimize Chrome.
Open an LX Terminal and type:

Code:
sudo rm /var/www/index.html

Put Chrome back into Fullscreen mode and press F5 to refresh.

We've tweaked the install scripts to automatically do this for you, and will be releasing the hotfix this evening.

I managed to open the LX Terminal and delete the file. However, Chrome says webpage not found and doesn't seem to be responding. My keyboard may be a problem and I can't spend any more time on it right now. Thanks for the quick response and I don't want to get in the way of your brew day. I'll try again later today.
Cheers

Now worries, man.

I suspect Chrome added "/index.html" at the end of the navigation path. That shouldn't be there. Exit Fullscreen, remove it (leave just the IP), and hit Enter.

Alternatively, navigate Chrome to "localhost".

If you still get 404 messages, then you probably deleted index.php on accident.

I can't speak to a guide, but RaspberryPints is using really standard software systems. If you can find a guide to set up MySQL, PHP, and a webserver on Windows - the rest should be pretty similar to our setup.

Just to confirm...I installed RaspberryPints onto an XAMPP based Windows server on my PC. Works fine.

The only thing is that RaspberryPints wants to run in the htdocs root. But, I have several different test websites on my home server and I keep each one in a subdirectory below htdocs. I tried to put it in its own subdirectory, too (eg: c:/xampp/htdocs/raspberrypints -> homeserver/raspberrypints). But, I ran into some "path" issues (like "install/index.php").

I didn't really feel like tracing down all the possible absolute path references; so, I just created an Apache Named virtualhost for raspberrypints (rpints).

After creating the virutalhost everything worked flawlessly.

Cool!

We hadn't really aimed toward XAMPP because we wanted something that could be mounted discreetly behind the video display. Desktop PCs are a little hard to hang on walls.

It's great to see the different ways the community is using this: XAMPP on Windows, Raspbian on tablets, Debian on laptops, on a remote webhost. So cool!

Latest posts

Back