[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why it took me so long to find this thread but I've been waiting for it. I will buy the parts now!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Do I need to have wifi on for rPints to work (once it's built)?

So after playing around with your demo site, I've loaded it on to my Pi, and played with it around there. On your site, I have no problems changing info on the recipes, or keg list, but on my Pi, any info I change is ignored, and goes right back to what it was. Did I miss setting some permissions somewhere, or is it locked down until the final release?

How did you grab the files?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Home Brew mobile app

Zip file from Git hub a few days ago, then reloaded with the zip file from yesterday after blowing away the database.

So after playing around with your demo site, I've loaded it on to my Pi, and played with it around there. On your site, I have no problems changing info on the recipes, or keg list, but on my Pi, any info I change is ignored, and goes right back to what it was. Did I miss setting some permissions somewhere, or is it locked down until the final release?

Thats because you need to use this command:

sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www

Can anyone post the link for everything need on github?

I would recommend against it. If you don't know where it is or how to get it, its probably out of your scope. At first I know it certainly was for me.

Patience people. Literally 9 DAYS until this things is supposed to be released!

Well I'm for damn sure gonna have all the parts ready by then. This is going to be awesome.

Thadius, I was playing around on your live site and believe I found a bug. Not sure if you taking issues on github. I know you guys are busy tying things. So I will not post new issue unless i get the go ahead from you.

Thanks to all you guys for the awesome work you are doing.

Thats because you need to use this command:

sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www

I did that before SCPing the files over, as that was were it was in the doc. I discovered the issue after that, and went ahead and did it again after it was all set up, but no change. I'll try it once more just to make sure.

Em, we don't get a cut. We removed referral links a while back to play nice with HBT's rules.

The parts in that linked article are indeed my recommendation, though.

I specified those over a bundle because the bundles tend to cut corners on some items.

Thadius, I was playing around on your live site and believe I found a bug. Not sure if you taking issues on github. I know you guys are busy tying things. So I will not post new issue unless i get the go ahead from you.

Thanks to all you guys for the awesome work you are doing.

Please do post one.

Do I need to have wifi on for rPints to work (once it's built)?

No, but it would be immensely helpful for getting updates, troubleshooting, remote management, etc.

If it's not on the network, you'll have to interface with the Pi directly. If it's on the network, you can stash the keyboard/mouse and do most of the administration using any other device on your network.

I did that before SCPing the files over, as that was were it was in the doc. I discovered the issue after that, and went ahead and did it again after it was all set up, but no change. I'll try it once more just to make sure.

Doesn't sound like file permissions to me.

Sounds like your MySQL login/password was entered incorrectly during the install or has changed since then, or that account doesn't have INSERT/SET/UPDATE rights.

You know what T you are on to something...it's because either the admin conn, and or config is not right. Check there.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Em, we don't get a cut. We removed referral links a while back to play nice with HBT's rules.

I can't believe that. It's a donation that people choose to give to you. How can you not allow donations for a "free" homebrewed tap system on a homebrew forum. You're not begging, you're not even asking, it's forum members asking you to put up a donation button so we can buy you and the team a beer for your hard work. Oh well. Maybe post your email address, if it happens to be linked to a PayPal address, we can't help that :mug:

Cheers to you and the team, I am looking forward to this release!

You know what T you are on to something...it's because either the admin conn, and or config is not right. Check there.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Could be. WinSCP likes to eat my config files if I set it to "Delete files", because they don't exist in the distro.

I can't believe that. It's a donation that people choose to give to you. How can you not allow donations for a "free" homebrewed tap system on a homebrew forum. You're not begging, you're not even asking, it's forum members asking you to put up a donation button so we can buy you and the team a beer for your hard work. Oh well. Maybe post your email address, if it happens to be linked to a PayPal address, we can't help that :mug:

Cheers to you and the team, I am looking forward to this release!

Sorry man, not sure what to say. But that's how it goes.

You're welcome to buy us a beer should you meet us in person.

In preparation for our impending launch, we're taking down our website for a final overhaul. Details on the how/why are in Post #2, as well as the contents of our Build List page.

The countdown will remain live. Boy, is it getting low!

5 days, 11 hours, 55 minutes, 10 seconds

All set up and can't wait!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

1392398168596.jpg

Let me know if you guys need any help with this.

I've been working with Linux for 20 years and could easily make this into an installable iso image which would let people install a Debian operating system, lamp stack, and RaspberryPints onto any hardware they have laying around.

All of the parts are scheduled for delivery on the 19th! Just in time!

As far as installation goes, maybe look at what the BrewPi has done with their installation process.

Their process is pretty well documented now (http://docs.brewpi.com) and they have a configuration script you can run that automates most of the package installation and configuration after getting the RasPi online.

You need seeds for a torrent. We'd need many times the users we have now to make that viable.

I leave my computer on all the time and would be more than willing to seed the torrent for you. I'm sure there are plenty of others with interest in this that would also seed files once they downloaded them. If everyone that downloads it would seed to at least a ratio of 5:1 I think you would find you wouldn't need as many seeds as you think you would. obviously the more shares the faster the download. Not sure what your total files size would be but I wouldn't think it would be an incredibly huge file that would take hours to transfer. Just my .02

I think what you guys are doing for the community is awesome and I cannot code to help out but am more than willing to share files if that's a small part I can do to help out the project team in any way.

As far as installation goes, maybe look at what the BrewPi has done with their installation process.

Their process is pretty well documented now (http://docs.brewpi.com) and they have a configuration script you can run that automates most of the package installation and configuration after getting the RasPi online.

Looking over their docs, it doesn't appear their method is all that dissimilar from ours. Though I do like that they're using git to download. Hrmmm.

They have package installation/configuration rolled into their script, but really, that's not the bulk of the time spent setting this thing up. We went with a web interface while they went with a CLI.

Perhaps in the future we'll go this route. I know right now I'm pretty burned out on 8 hour coding sessions that reduce the install, config or management time by 8 seconds. I'd say over 80% of the time spent on this project has been dedicated to ease of use, documentation, etc. Personally, I'm really antsy to get back to coding features. :)

How about an NZB file? Usenet would be great for something like this.

We're trying to go as perfectly easy as possible. Right now, GitHub as a host is working pretty well for that.

I leave my computer on all the time and would be more than willing to seed the torrent for you. I'm sure there are plenty of others with interest in this that would also seed files once they downloaded them. If everyone that downloads it would seed to at least a ratio of 5:1 I think you would find you wouldn't need as many seeds as you think you would. obviously the more shares the faster the download. Not sure what your total files size would be but I wouldn't think it would be an incredibly huge file that would take hours to transfer. Just my .02

I think what you guys are doing for the community is awesome and I cannot code to help out but am more than willing to share files if that's a small part I can do to help out the project team in any way.

We appreciate that. But we're talking multi-gig files here, ones that we'd have to push out every time we update or the Debian image is updated. That's a LOT of work, and maybe worth it for a paid software bundle with thousands of users, but probably not for us.

I think it's probably better we keep the OS install separate from the package install from the git package.

Hey everyone!

Here's a sneak peak into the development/testing of the flow monitoring feature! It's still very early and we don't have a release date yet, but I thought it would be fun to share.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as distributing an ISO image. I have built a test version of an ISO with a complete x64 Debian server system (no graphical environment), LAMP, and the RaspberryPints software. It comes in at just under 250 MB; which is pretty good. All you need to do is download the ISO image and install it on a computer or virtual machine. I do plan to do this again after 1.0.0 goes public and will offer it to anyone who would like it and can host the file myself. This won't work on a Pi as of yet, but it shouldn't be hard for me to build a Raspberry Pi image with everything pre-installed.

Also, if it would help, I could write a small bash script that when run on a pi or linux system.... installed the required packages, downloaded RaspberryPints, and set it all up. Let me know if this would help.

Back