Initial raction to my water report, Buffalo, New York

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkInBuffalo

Reaction score
Hello, all. I received my water analysis from Ward labs a few weeks ago and started looking into the numbers and trying to figure out adjustments I should be making for ideal PH/overall taste. This is quite a bit to try and grasp right away so looking for a little help from those with experience. With a quick glance at my report, any glaring/alarming numbers that you can see? I brew a lot of IPAS so I'm trying to come up with an ideal water profile mainly for that style. Thanks for any help.

image-2031665100.jpg

There's a few guys on here who really know their stuff, hopefully they'll chime in too. I don't understand temporary hardness the way they do. What I'd do depends on your taste preference and your typical grain bill.

My advice below is based on my typical IPA grain bill of 95% pale, 5% C40 or C60.

If you prefer a lot of sulfate (palate drying sensation that doesn't really enhance hops to me, just makes beer seem more bitter and less smooth drinking) use the water you have, add ~2 oz acidulated malt in a five gallon batch, 1-2 grams gypsum per gallon of water, .2-.3 grams calcium chloride per gallon.

For lower sulfate, dilute 1:1 with RO, ~2 oz acidulated malt/5 gal, .4 - .7 grams gypsum and .3-.7 grams calcium chloride per gallon of water.

If you want to play around with some different pH estimating tools Kai has a really good calculator at http://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/ and Martin has a really good spreadsheet at https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/.

If you don't get any other answers here you might want to repost in in the brewing science forum, one of those guys or AJ will probably see it and give some advice.

Thanks for the response, that's some good information. That may explain why most of my IPAs seem bitter even in lower IBU situations. Thanks.

The bitterness that the OP is probably experiencing is more likely a harshness that may be a result of the elevated bicarbonate content that drives the mash and wort pH higher than desirable. A modest acidification of mashing and sparging water may be needed.

The bitterness that the OP is probably experiencing is more likely a harshness that may be a result of the elevated bicarbonate content that drives the mash and wort pH higher than desirable. A modest acidification of mashing and sparging water may be needed.

That's great to know. Seems like I have a few areas I need to work on here. So you're saying that I should lower the bicarbonate levels of both the mash and sparge water, pre mash/ contact with grains. Learning a lot here, thanks.

Back