Ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdlev

Reaction score
I've had good luck getting brew kits (basically a 4-5lbs of malt extract, few ounces of bittering hops, few ounces of aroma hops, priming sugar, anti protein tablet (forget the name) along with the mushin bags). Typical price is ~$35 per kit...total cost with the spring water makes it about $40/batch.

Since I haven't shopped anywhere else, I'm wondering if that is high/fair/low price to pay for a kit? I like the brew shop, I just don't like the fact that its 25 miles away.

Also, my well water at my house actually tastes pretty good, especially filtered. I suppose I could save around $5/batch by not buying that. Is that ok as long as I boil it, or should I just stick with 5 gallons of spring water?

Like everyone, I'd like to keep my costs down, but still get high quality ingredients for some great brews. Any other recommendations? What about buying ingredients online?

As you get more experience in brewing, and eventualy make the change to all grain brewing, you'll save a ton. I averaged about $35 for my extract brews, but now with all grain, I can make batches for as low as $20! Granted, I purchase base grain in bulk, and that is another way to save. If you know you'll use it, buy hops byu the pound and grain by the sack. Since you are doing extract brews for now, I'd say go ahead and use the well water. Filtering will help too. Once you do make that change to AG, water profiles will be MUCH more important.

If your water taste good then use it in brewing. Never understood why some people will only use bottled water. Those kit prices seem about right. The only way to go cheaper is to do all grain really.

I've got a 'grain cracker'...what would have to do besides basically malting the grains?

I've got a 'grain cracker'...what would have to do besides basically malting the grains?

You'll buy the grain already malted. What you need to do, in addition to what you're already doing, is Mash and Sparge the grain.

You'll either need a Mash/Lauder Tun, I built one out of a round beverage cooler and stainless steel braid (instructions), or using the Brew in a Bag Method. I've never used brew in a bag but if you search around for BIAB on the forums you should find the instructions.

Then you should read about brewing All-Grain brewing on howtobrew and here of course.

Back