ingredients (in Canada)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinton

Reaction score
I want to start brewing from the basics and skip the kit. My little city (bc, canada) has no supplier that can get any of the ingredients. Where do guys pick up the basics? Un-hopped malts, dry malt extract, Cara-Munich Barley, Hallertau hops, Irish moss(???), Styrian Golding hops, and gypsum. Is online retail a good idea? Any border issues?

There are Canadian online sources. Check out the Canadian Brewers group (unite link in my sig) for some help there. There are also a number of guys from the BC area that will chime in I'm sure.

I get everything from Dan's Homebrewing Supplies on lovely East Hastings Street (http://pages.pacificcoast.net/~dansmall/index.html). He might not have everything that HBT and books say; but, once you know your ingredients a bit, he has all that you really need. Might be worth a trip in for a stock-up.

Dan doesn't have DME (Wine Kitz on West 4th does, though), but has lots of LME, a really good selection of grains, whole hops (including Hallertau), little bags of gypsum and Irish Moss. I've never seen Styrian Goldings in Canada - more of a European thing, I think - but, he has Goldings.

Apparently there is a HBS in Victoria - Askim's. Website doesn't seem to work, though.

Nothing else to add, I'm afraid.

I drive between Alaska and Seattle often, I swear I saw a homebrew supplier in Hope, BC...

Latest posts

Back