ingredients for 1st batch ordered.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
just ordered a sierra nevada clone extract kit from homebrewgear canada

so hopefully i will get it soon and get brewing.

i picked up 3 -5 gallon carboys today $10 each.

You're gonna need a blow off tube with a 5 gallon carboy.
I've heard that Fermcap S Foam Control will help with blow off though.
6 gallon carboys are a better size for primary fermentation.
Some fermentation's are vigorous enough to push the krausen out the top of even a 6 gallon carboy.
5 gallon are what most people secondary in, if you're into that.

Well good luck and you've just began a very addictive hobby!
Just remember....Sanitation, Sanitation, Sanitation!

Brewed my first batch yesterday. Now I can't stop watching the primary bubble!:ban: Beautiful! Welcome to the hobby.

The 5 gallons are for secondary...

I already got 3 used 6 gallon carboys. Then read if I do I put my beer into secondary I should use 5 gallon for that.

The 5 gallons are for secondary...

I already got 3 used 6 gallon carboys. Then read if I do I put my beer into secondary I should use 5 gallon for that.

Perfect. You can start now and brew one batch, then another in a week and a third a week later. Then you can rack the first one to secondary on week 4 and start the next batch. By the time you have some in the bottle, you should have 6 batches in some stage of ferment too, giving you lots of choices for drinking this summer.

I got my ingredients today. just have to pick up a few pieces of equipment from a local homebrew shop

i am going to be brewing it next weekend the 19th because the wife and i are going to vermont for the weekend.

I picked up 2(6) and 3(5) gallon fermentors for 10 dollars each off of www.kijiji.ca

i brewed it on saturday and it went pretty well. I boil over as my wife had to run to the store and i had the baby and was trying to watch the beer. i was a little concerned i might have added the yeast when the wort was too cold.
but i threw a brew belt on it and the temp came up some and it started bubbling very slowly after around 12 hours but start turning and bubbling like crazy after around 18-24 hours. The temp went up a bit higher then i was looking for. i was aiming for 68 but it was going around 72 so i turned off the brew belt and turned the heat down in the house and it went down to 67 ish in the basement so thats where is sits now..

Back