Ingrediant trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yzf426scott

Reaction score
I found a recipe for a hefeweizen I want to make and it calls for red wheat and I seem to be having a hard time finding
it is there something else I can use or
is red wheat the wrong name for something
else or is it just hard to find

You can use white wheat, flaked wheat or even wheat malt with similar results. Red wheat has higher gluten levels, but that isn't a big deal in brewing.

A hefeweizen need not include any particular kind of wheat, and certainly not "red wheat." If this is an extract recipe, you can use generic wheat malt extract, dry or liquid (so long as you adjust the amount accordingly.)

The recipe may be striving for a distinctive flavor or color, and thus may use some local product to which you have access. (I've never seen "red wheat," but, then, I've also never looked.) If you haven't had that recipe before, and aren't shooting for that particular flavor or color, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I found a recipe for a hefeweizen I want to make and it calls for red wheat and I seem to be having a hard time finding
it is there something else I can use or
is red wheat the wrong name for something
else or is it just hard to find

If you're looking for hard, red winter wheat, you can probably find it in the bulk section of some stores, usually the healthfood / hippie type stores have it in bulk bins so you can buy an oz or a few pounds. Hard red winter wheat is grown all over the NW US & Canada. Regards, GF.

I'll be honest - if you made the decision to post your question in the Beginners Brewing Forum, then buying ingredients from the healthfood store is probably a bad idea. If it's not available from Northern Brewer (or one of the other sites) or from your LHBS, then there's not going to be a lot of consensus out there on how you should use it.

Are you going to malt the wheat yourself? At what temperature, and for how long? Are you going to mash it and lauter it yourself? At what temperature, and for how long? Do you have the equipment to malt, mash, and lauter the wheat?

That said. . . if you're really sold on red wheat, please report your experience back to the group so that we can start BUILDING a consensus about how to use it!

You can sub White wheat malt or Pale wheat malt for red wheat malt. The Red is more bready than the other two. The difference between White and Pale is minor.

Back