Infused Cider with Coriander Seeds, updates and in search of opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CV_Apple_Gal

Reaction score
Hi all,

I infused 3 gallons of cider (OG 1.059, SG .999) using Saf Cider Balanced with some coriander seeds, about 3/4 cup crushed I’d say.

A month later I took a sample and the coriander can definitely be tasted! Probably used a bit too much as it has a slightly bitter taste going down.
I’m trying to think of things I can add to help balance it out a little bit without making it too sweet. I was thinking some apple concentrate. If I were to add this, could it be used as a primer? Still debating if I want to make this cider sparkling. Or what about lemon peel/lemonade?
Or is it possible that if I rack the cider off the coriander and let it age it would mellow out?

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried infusing cider with coriander seeds before?
Thanks!

3/4 cup seems like an awful lot. In Witbiers it typically requires 1/2 to 1oz (weight) per 5 gallons. Did you use the coriander from brew shops, or the Indian variety? The latter tends to be more flavorful and kind of floral, whereas the stuff from brew shops and grocery stores can be grassy or "celery-like."

Carbonating might accentuate the harshness. Adding some citrus zest might take the edge off.

Coriander in cider sounds interesting. Might have to try it in my next cider.

Hi all,

I infused 3 gallons of cider (OG 1.059, SG .999) using Saf Cider Balanced with some coriander seeds, about 3/4 cup crushed I’d say.

A month later I took a sample and the coriander can definitely be tasted! Probably used a bit too much as it has a slightly bitter taste going down.
I’m trying to think of things I can add to help balance it out a little bit without making it too sweet. I was thinking some apple concentrate. If I were to add this, could it be used as a primer? Still debating if I want to make this cider sparkling. Or what about lemon peel/lemonade?
Or is it possible that if I rack the cider off the coriander and let it age it would mellow out?

Any thoughts? Has anyone tried infusing cider with coriander seeds before?
Thanks!
I have made herb "hopped" cider before with cracked Coriander and Bay and DME, damn tasty and dangerously easy to drink. :)

I used about 1 tbsp of coriander for a gallon, cracked in a coffee grinder.

My ideas for mellowing out your cider:
- make more plain cider and blend it with what you have.
- Buy some Celestial Seasons "apple something something..." tea, brew up like 1-2 bags in a cup of water and start adding and tasting.
- Fruit your cider with some chopped frozen, then thawed apple chunks and let is sit for 2 weeks.
- maybe stabilize it and add some honey bit by bit? I know you said you don't want to sweeten it up too much so maybe this idea is a suck.

my 2 cents. I'm a super newb tho.

your OP was in Nov - I'd love to hear how it went / turned out if you solved it already?

I have made herb "hopped" cider before with cracked Coriander and Bay and DME, damn tasty and dangerously easy to drink. :)

I used about 1 tbsp of coriander for a gallon, cracked in a coffee grinder.

My ideas for mellowing out your cider:
- make more plain cider and blend it with what you have.
- Buy some Celestial Seasons "apple something something..." tea, brew up like 1-2 bags in a cup of water and start adding and tasting.
- Fruit your cider with some chopped frozen, then thawed apple chunks and let is sit for 2 weeks.
- maybe stabilize it and add some honey bit by bit? I know you said you don't want to sweeten it up too much so maybe this idea is a suck.

my 2 cents. I'm a super newb tho.

your OP was in Nov - I'd love to hear how it went / turned out if you solved it already?

Hey!

So since I posted, I racked off the coriander seeds and divided up the 3 gallons into individual 1 gallon carboys.
1 gal got 4 lemon slices, 1 gal got 4 orange slices, and one gal stayed as is.

After letting that sit for about a month I tried them again, and the citrus helped. The two citruses were nearly impossible to distinguish. The harshness of the coriander was still there though, so what I'm planning on doing this weekend is blending the 3 gal back together, cold crash, rack off from yeast, add campden and potassium sorbate to stabilize, and blend with a little more apple juice concentrate of some kind, forgo the fizz, and call it a day!

I think next time around I would use less coriander, more citrus, and let it be a drier beverage. I normally don't like things sweet, but this batch is just a tad too unpleasant going down, IMO.

Back