Infection(with pic)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob3000

Reaction score
Give it to me strait. What do you think?
attachment.php

20130220_194045.jpg

Looks like lacto bubbles poking out from between whole hops?

That's what i thought. Tasted amazing the other day, still not noticeably funky but I don't know if i should bother bottling or dump. I've gone to the hassle of bottling suspect beer before only to find i've wasted my time.

Damn! simcoe isn't cheap over here in the UK.

That's what i thought. Tasted amazing the other day, still not noticeably funky but I don't know if i should bother bottling or dump. I've gone to the hassle of bottling suspect beer before only to find i've wasted my time.

Damn! simcoe isn't cheap over here in the UK.

It's hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like some gooey, white, large bubbles. If that's the case, it's some sort of infection, but like I said it looks like lacto. Do you keg? You might be able to keg it and keep it cold if it's not too funky yet. Otherwise, if you have spare fermenters you could leave it for a year and see what it tastes like?

the picture is a little blurry - any chance you could get a sharper, more in-focus one?

doesn't lacto not like hops? so in a hoppy beer, the chances of lacto taking hold are pretty slim?

I'm no identify-the-bug-by-the-pellicle expert, but those little white bubbles looks like the Brett pellicles I've had. Not so much like Lacto. Either way, definitely looks infected by something.

I only have two kegs. So I put the bucket of beer outside in the cold and I'll get drinking until I have a free keg.
I guess this'll teach me for taking too many samples. I bet that's how it happened.

If you let it ride totally, you could end up with an interesting hoppy sour - I would age it for a few months and see what it transforms into.

Yeah only dump it if it tastes bad. Until then there isn't a problem.

Im not sure if you can do this but if you keg maybe you can just kill the bugs. Rack to secondary after you get to FG. Then add sulfites, potassium sorbate or something else. Then you can store it for a little while until a keg is free. I'm not sure this is a good idea. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

Yeah only dump it if it tastes bad. Until then there isn't a problem.

Im not sure if you can do this but if you keg maybe you can just kill the bugs. Rack to secondary after you get to FG. Then add sulfites, potassium sorbate or something else. Then you can store it for a little while until a keg is free. I'm not sure this is a good idea. Maybe somebody else can chime in.

Interesting is that the same as campden tablets. I reckon i might have the keg finished by next week. Would it be worth putting campden tabs in the keg?

My experience has been that when there is something wrong, you will damn well know. Off smell or tastes will be there. If you think it tastes fine I'd continue as normal. If it tastes funky... well now it just depends on what you can tolerate ;)

Maybe with a bits better of a picture we could see what the white stuff is though.

My experience has been that when there is something wrong, you will damn well know. Off smell or tastes will be there. If you think it tastes fine I'd continue as normal. If it tastes funky... well now it just depends on what you can tolerate ;)

Maybe with a bits better of a picture we could see what the white stuff is though.

I know what you mean but I don't want to waste time and energy, also I'm a little worried about putting dodgy beer through my keg system.

it looks a bit strange, but thats not to say it cant still taste good. Assuming you like funky beers too!

Latest posts

Back