Infection Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmarkw

Reaction score
How long does it take for an Infection to show? I brewed yesterday evening; pitched the yeast about 6pm. Woke up this AM and I have fermentation but there is a layer of something on the top. I know you all need more detail and I will post a pic in bit but just curious on infection time if its after a few day or instantaneous, etc.

Thanks.

image-4120601477.jpg

image-714440898.jpg

Mark

I'm looking at it on my phone without my glassed so maybe I'm wrong, but from here it looks like just plain old active fermentation.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

Hmmm, I just see krausen and maybe some trub. Idk, from what I can see in the pics, this looks pretty normal.

Keep us updated.

I have to agree with everyone else. Looks like a plane old uneventful fermentation.

That is what you are looking for. I hope you are using a blow off tube on that 5gal carboy because you are going to have a mess when it really gets going.

Looks like a yeast infection to me. You better let that thing ferment out for 4 weeks, bottle it and send it to me for disposal.

Looks like hops/trub being pushed up by the co2, perfectly normal. Is that a 1 gallon jug? You may need a blowoff tube if its not already installed.

Ok thanks all for the replies. This is indeed a 1 gal carboy batch. This is my 5th batch I guess?? I have seen the usual krausen ring and a little gunk on the surface of the beer but never anything like this. Hence the apprehension that I might have messed up. I have scanned that infection thread and I think I'm ok but it just looks different with the big frothy/foam bubbles. I do have a blow off tube set up and I pitched around 70 degrees and I have it in the bath tub with some water, a wet towl covering the carboy and an ice block to help keep the temps around the high 60s', the homemade swamp cooler.

The receipe is Ginger Bread Ale and I used a basic dry yeast packet (1/2 of it) and I did not re-hydrate or anything. Just sprinkled on top and mixed it up real good.

You all are a big help. Thanks for checking out my thread and I will keep you all updated. Happy Holidays and Cheers!

Back