infection starting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have brewed a lot of batches of beer over the last few YEARS. I have seen some funky looking fermentations but the big bubbles have me thrown.. is this maybe an infection taking hold?
20130814_232826.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Little hard to tell, but that may be an infection starting... Just leave it and see what happens. If it does pick up those characteristic infection traits, just rack underneath the infection and you should generally be good to go...

Agreed it's hard to tell, but it certainly looks like pellicle to me. And I wouldn't be confident that racking underneath it would work. I'd let it sit for a year and hope you get tasty sour infected, not nasty infected.

Steve, you've been doing this as long, or longer, as I have. You probably already know that those large bubbles are a bad sign.

I'd let it go for a while longer before I bottled or kegged. It'll probably get nastier given time.

Big bubbles are bad.

what were the recipes for? and yeah, looks to me like the starting of infunktion.

I have brewed 3-4 batches real close together. this was my second batch and it is jamils blond.. 10 gallon batch split into 2 separate fermentors. US-05 yeast. the brew prior and the brews after seem fine. BUT BOTH fermentors look like this so it is either an infection that i picked up post boil from my hose or my funnel( only common factors to both brews post boil) BUT same hose and same funnel used since with no issue. I will let it ride and see. pic looks way funkier than the actual batch but it still looks rough.

went out and checked just now...everything looks normal...no idea what it was(is)... oh well time will tell.

Latest posts

Back