Infection Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akillys

Reaction score
I transferred my beer to s secondary and realized that an infection is begging to develop. It is done fermenting as I have gotten 3 gravity readings over 4 days, but I had planned to let it sit in the secondary to age and clear for one more week.

My question is, should I go ahead and move to a keg then put in my keezer and forget the extra week to slow down the infection? Or, should I let it age for one more week in the secondary?

It is a pumpkin ale that is sitting at about 7%. One more week would make it a three week fermentation period.

I transferred my beer to s secondary and realized that an infection is begging to develop. It is done fermenting as I have gotten 3 gravity readings over 4 days, but I had planned to let it sit in the secondary to age and clear for one more week.

My question is, should I go ahead and move to a keg then put in my keezer and forget the extra week to slow down the infection? Or, should I let it age for one more week in the secondary?

It is a pumpkin ale that is sitting at about 7%. One more week would make it a three week fermentation period.

If it is infected with a bug of some sort you only want to do one thing with it...dump it and start over.

I'll give a +1 to the question: What makes you think it is infected?

There is a white layer starting to form on the top abd it didn't look like yeast rafts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

If it does taste like dead rhino rectum you could always secondary and pitch Brett and lacto and let it ride. Also if it is infected replace any plastic equipment.
Beer does crazy things often. Kinda like my wife. :rockin:
RDWHAHB.

If you just transferred to secondary it's probably just CO2 coming out of solution thanks to the movement. No big deal.

Give it the sniff/smell test. If it seems ok, it probably is.

Back