Infection Photo Gallery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illin8

Reaction score
What do you think about HBT having a specific section or gallery for posting of infection photos? Maybe it could evolve into its own subforum, but I'm thinking having photos of infections for reference purposes for those that *think* they might have one have something to compare what they are seeing to.

I don't know...just typing out my brain farts right now...

Is my porter infected? It was fine in 2ndry for a week and then I added about 12 oz of maple syrup and 5 days later, bam, this: http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z356/blackwarriorbrewing/IMG_0391.jpg :eek:

Is this infection and if so should I rack it out to bottles now (I don't have a keg yet)? I was planning on adding bourbon soaked oak chips for 3 weeks starting soon, but should I change my plan because of this growth? Maybe rack to a different carboy and then add the oak?

Is my porter infected? It was fine in 2ndry for a week and then I added about 12 oz of maple syrup and 5 days later, bam, this: http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z356/blackwarriorbrewing/IMG_0391.jpg :eek:

Is this infection and if so should I rack it out to bottles now (I don't have a keg yet)? I was planning on adding bourbon soaked oak chips for 3 weeks starting soon, but should I change my plan because of this growth? Maybe rack to a different carboy and then add the oak?

that looks like fermentation to me....

My turn...been brewing over 2 years, this is my first possible infection. Name it?

gsky1.jpg

gsky2.jpg

My question is, if it is Brett, how will it affect the taste of my IPA. I still need to dry hop. Should i transfer from under the Bret to another carboy before dry hopping?

My question is, if it is Brett, how will it affect the taste of my IPA. I still need to dry hop. Should i transfer from under the Bret to another carboy before dry hopping?

I would do that ^^^ soon or consider skipping the dh and bottling/ drinking it asap.

Unless the temp is high, say well over 70, the brett will take a long time to work. It usually needs 6-9 months, sometimes more, to funkify a beer. Look at it this way - you're making a more authentic, old fashioned IPA. The originals almost certainly had brett yeasts, too. Given time, it will definitely change the character, but you may find you like it.

Unless the temp is high, say well over 70, the brett will take a long time to work. It usually needs 6-9 months, sometimes more, to funkify a beer. Look at it this way - you're making a more authentic, old fashioned IPA. The originals almost certainly had brett yeasts, too. Given time, it will definitely change the character, but you may find you like it.

^^ bingo, Maybe a batch to sacrifice as an experiment!

well no one can identify this as yet...
image_zpsuqvgkxrs.jpg

any input would help... thanks!

yeah someone has mentioned it could be Botulism... so im freaking out!
i just thought is made some good funk...now im paranoid!!
hate ditching beer

this is a blend of a few different beers,
i then barrel aged it.
I then added cherries..

about 5 days ago i had a few ltrs in the bottom of a keg i poured in... and then i looked yesterday and i have this!!!

Back