Infection? Pectin growth ? Wtf ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
Looked at my one gallon batch of 100% brett cider today and saw this ... What is it ? { batch is only about 5 days old and that wasn't there the other morning when I took a peak

image-1569509558.jpg

Wtf?

IT'S ALIVE!!! I would go with an alien wine baby... Yup, defiantly an alien wine baby....

image-3076019184.jpg

Updated photos

Attachments

• image-2993493816.jpg
    image-2993493816.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 310
  • image-1279353059.jpg
    image-1279353059.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 314
  • image-1543899159.jpg
    image-1543899159.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 313
I can't say if it is due to the Brett but I do know that ciders that have high pectin content do this sometimes. It's not bad. And it probably won't settle to the bottom so just rack to a secondary carefully.

Give her a taste. An infection will make your cider taste like drinking sulfurish burnt gunpowder sour tart sharp. Its very noticeable when a cider turns bad. Ive never seen anything like that tho. Its horrendous. Idk i mite dump that one.. Just because it looks so crazy

All the other various batches I brewed look fine Some are hazy and some are clear but this one takes the cake for weirdest thing ever . I'm going to let it finish fermenting taste it put it into secondary and see how it tastes in a month or so. On a side note I am very anal with sanitation but some of my other batches that are only a week or two old taste yeasty and or sulfur-ish any idea why they taste as such ? Or are they just still way too young to tell how they will end up

Brett develops a pellicle, look up some images on line. Yours could be a combination of pectin clumping and pellicle from Brett. A previous poster talked about sour and tart flavors. I agree these are consistent with brett or wild yeast, I personally think that's a good thing. It needs time to blend and mellow, but I think Brett compliments cider well and I would argue it is more similar to the traditional ciders made on farms (by wild yeast) than the neutral champagne and mead yeasts we've gotten use to. I say it's fine, give it time, rack it twice. I typically let my Brett items run 3 months (with a pellicle) before I rack them.

Seriously, it's just a pectin gel forming. Not an infection and has nothing to do with brett (which I also think works well with cider).

For more info & pictures, look up 'keeving'.

Seriously, it's just a pectin gel forming. Not an infection and has nothing to do with brett (which I also think works well with cider).

For more info & pictures, look up 'keeving'.

I agree it's pectin. I guess when I was posting, I was thinking *if* it was Brett/an infection, it's still a good thing.

Don't worry, rack carefully. You're fine.

Back