Infection or Irish Moss at work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRealMcCoy

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first time using irish moss and it is the first time my fermentation has looked this strange.

I transferred to secondary about 10 days ago and this is what my carboy looks like currently: http://imgur.com/a/b0j7F

I wanted to bottle soon, but didn't know if this was a potential infection or if this is the irish moss flocculating the proteins and clearing up my beer.

If the optimist in me is right, then should I wait for these gnarly bits to float to the bottom or should I just be extra careful when siphoning into my bottling bucket?

Thanks for the help in advance! :mug:

i'm not sold it's an infection, but not sure it's due to irish moss either? Irish moss typically helps coagulate particles during the cold break after your boil. i guess it could be possible if you didn't chill down quick/low enough for the irish moss to do it's job?

Looks like yeast and trub clinging to the sides of the carboy. It won't fall, so you can just rack as usual and avoid it.

Yeah, that's pretty much how mine looks fairly regularly. I just make sure to not disturb that stuff when I rack. It clings on pretty good so its not that delicate a procedure.

Looks fine. Maybe actually turn out good? Looks like a good dark beer and doing what you want it to do. It looks set up to be pretty clear. Sometimes air bubbles can cling and raise pieces to the top and once they get there the surface tension of the wort holds them up. That is making sense?

Thank you everyone for the replies! You've helped me muster up the courage to continue with bottling. I bottled a few days ago and everything went smoothly. Will report back in about 2-3 weeks with how it tastes! :)

Latest posts

Back