Infection or C02 coming out of solution ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a stout "1.047" that I pitched wyeast irish ale Into about 4 weeks ago. Which I then racked it into secondary at the end of week 2 on top of coca nibs, coffe beans & vanilla beans. My question is this beer is showing no signs of airlock movement but still has bubles/trapped co2 running up the side non stop since transfer. Could this be more visable trapped co2 due to the abundance of nucleation points from the coffee ect or is it possibly a bacterial infection consuming more complex sugars ?

There seems to be a little gunk on the top after I opened the carboy. It's strange because this was a once used carboy and I PBW, Scrubbed, Bleached & starsaned the *****.... Is glass not so impervious to infection

Did you do anything to sterilize the coffee/vanilla beans or coco nibs... All great places for bacteria to hide

There seems to be a little gunk on the top after I opened the carboy. It's strange because this was a once used carboy and I PBW, Scrubbed, Bleached & starsaned the *****.... Is glass not so impervious to infection

A large headspace is a good gateway for oxygen loving bacteria and things like mold to take place, no matter how good your sanitation. If it was in primary for a month, and then in secondary for a couple of weeks, if there was a lot of headspace infection (and oxidation) are a very real risk.

If you had almost no headspace, then infection would be unlikely.

Correction: It was in Primary for 2 weeks and has been in secondary since then. The head space in secondary is very minimal, maybe 2 inch away from the bung at most

Back