Infection! Oh NOES

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
After my brew yesterday my packet of US-05 did nothing with a rehydration, so I left my brew overnight in the fermenter. I get home today from school and the brew store, and much to my dismay my airlock is bubbling, and I am holding the packet of unpitched yeast! I must have caught something blowing when the wort was chilling in my sink! I opened up, it doesn't smell great as of right now, sort of medicinal. It is a bunch of little white dots and some krausen--esque foam. What should I do experts? Pitch the US-05 anyways? Let it sit for a while as is? I dont really want to dump it, i just spend 5-6 hours making it yesterday! If it helps its a 1.060 IPA about 60 IBUs.

After my brew yesterday my packet of US-05 did nothing with a rehydration, so I left my brew overnight in the fermenter. I get home today from school and the brew store, and much to my dismay my airlock is bubbling, and I am holding the packet of unpitched yeast! I must have caught something blowing when the wort was chilling in my sink! I opened up, it doesn't smell great as of right now, sort of medicinal. It is a bunch of little white dots and some krausen--esque foam. What should I do experts? Pitch the US-05 anyways? Let it sit for a while as is? I dont really want to dump it, i just spend 5-6 hours making it yesterday! If it helps its a 1.060 IPA about 60 IBUs.

So I don't get it, you pitched yeast or not? If you did then it may be an infection I would throw the yeast in now and see if it can take over, if you did pitch yeast check your hydrometer reading.

If I understand your post correctly the dry yeast did not look good when you hydrated it, so you did not use it?

If you did not put yeast in the beer, and you have fermentation, you got some wild bugs in there. They are in charge now and will make what they want. If that is what happened you may want to spend some time reading the Lambic and Wild Yeast part of the forum.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/

i dont usually see any activity when rehydrating dry yeast. I wouldnt worry about it. Put the lid on it and forget about it for a couple weeks.

Am I missing something, re-hydrating yeast will not cause any activity unless you "proofed" it with some extract. I re-hydrate before pitching but don't "proof". I would just pitch your new packet an see what happens, after all dry yeast is only like $1.50 anyway.

Normally when I rehydrate bubbles form and a airy lair seems to be at the top of a cup. This just sat there and dropped to the bottom so I did not pitch it. Whatever is in there is wild, I know that, Im just wondering if you guys knew if pitching a packet of us-05 would take it back from whatever is there or not. I think ill just ride this out.

Since it hasn't fermented much, couldnt i technically boil it again for a few minutes and repitch tomorrow? Or is that a no-no?

Dry yeast is all but fool proof. I doubt that your pack of S-05 was a dud. In the future, pitch the yeast even if you think it's no good. It's most likely good.

Well barring the presidential pardon Im about to hit this batch with the electric sticks again. Bring it to a boil, then cool it with a better sanitation job. Anyone have anything against this?

You might want to taste it. You said fermentation was active. Depending on what got in there some of those flavors develope rather quickly depending on what yeast was at work. So taste it. If you don't find the taste unpleasant you might be able to boil it to kill what is in there. I'm not sure how that will work out, but it is an intersting idea.

i would say just let it go and chock this up to a lesson learned. i wouldn't say the batch is ruined but its not going to turn out the way you expected. the wild yeast probably have a good foot hold by now. your new yeast would be hard pressed to win out over their wild cousins. you could try pitching the new yeast, but be prepared for a potentially bad batch of beer.

I have 6 fermenters and I am not at capacity yet. As a college student I cant afford to brew a beer and then pitch it out the next day! This will teach me a valuable lesson to never get sloppy with sanitation, and maybe it will condition to be goodish.

I have 6 fermenters and I am not at capacity yet. As a college student I cant afford to brew a beer and then pitch it out the next day!

Ha. I teach college students and my pay check is somewhat less than your tuition. OK not really but me thinks the lady protesteth too much.

Back