Infection help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjackel53

Reaction score
Did a watermelon saison. Chunks of watermelon floated to the top. A week later I found this. Is this mold? Think it's infected. What do you all think? Is it ruined?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=409229&stc=1&d=1501478774

image.jpg

Nearly certain it's not mold.

Opening it up to check if its mold is a great way to infect the beer and also add oxygen which feeds it.

When I did a couple watermelon beers I used a blender and strainer to separate the chunks. Worked really well.

When winemakers use fruit (in primary), the stir up the wine so that the fruit stays submerged. That keeps it from getting mold. In your case, in a bucket with that huge headspace and the fruit floating, it's a big risk.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but I would definitely rack that beer off of the fruit right away into a carboy and see if that 'filmy stuff' recurs. It could be infected, but it could also just be the fruit breaking down.

The beer tastes fine. I skimmed and strained the stuff off last night. I tasted it a couple days ago and discovered last night that the lid was not completely closed . Some air got in there . Going to rack it off and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back