infection advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogri

Reaction score
Just opened up one of my fermentors and was treated to my first infection.
Should I just dump this batch or try racking the majority of it from underneath the mold? Also, chuck away the plastic bucket or go for a heavy concentration oxyclean solution soak??

Cheers

infection 1.jpg

infection 2.jpg

Wow. Impressive. I've heard people making sours from infected batches. Should look into it.

not all wild fermentation taste good but you can be the judge of that, i love sour beer. whatever you do with the beer you don't have to throw away the bucket, give it a good wash then hit it with a sanitzer.

How does it smell and did you have the guts to taste it? You could try to rack from under but I think whatever got hold of your brew will follow it to another carboy/bucket. I would let it ride out and see what happens. What type of beer was this?

I would dump it and nuke the bucket. And then I would review my process and hopefully learn from this experience.

Thanks for the replies:mug:

It's an all extract batch with Munton's connoisseur IPA bitter, Black Rock light malt, light and dark brown sugar and hop additions, 1Oz Centennial @ 40 mins + 1Oz Northern Brewer at 15 mins.

OG was 1.067 on May 10th and SG was 1.016 on June 3rd. Kept putting off bottling as a bit busy so it's been sitting at around 25 to 27 Centigrade for a few weeks. Think, maybe, the measuring cup that I drew the SG sample with could be the culprit, although I did spray it profusely with starsan solution before dunking.

Doesn't smell too bad right now, actually the background beer smell seems alright, but obviously there's a moldy aroma up front and haven't tried a taster yet, will do tonight.

Just tried a sample and it actually tastes pretty good so I might as well give it the benefit of the doubt and just bottle it in a bunch of PET bottles, unless of course I start barfing all over the place in the next few hours.

It's always great to hear about someone who won't give up on a brew. Too many people with a dump first ask questions later attitude. Let us know how it comes out. And sanitize the bejesus out of that bucket...

Back