Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denimglen

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I started a couple of brews about three weeks ago, two of the same brand pilsner using the same method. After about 7 days the SG was about 1.005 so I bottled one and racked the second brew to the secondary to see how it compared.

The second brew has been in the secondary for two weeks now. I opened up the fermenter a couple of days ago and noticed a slight white 'film' on the top of the wort. I got a very small cup and dipped it in the wort and about half filled it. I looked at it today and it has the same film on it. The wort tasted fine a couple of days ago and smelt alright, just a little 'alcoholy'.

I've already bought the bottles and I was wondering if I should take the risk and bottle it and see what happens or tip it down the sink.

Any help would be appreciated a lot, sorry for being a bit long-winded.

Cheers,

-Glen

You're most likely just looking at a little residue from the krauzen. If it smells and tastes ok, go ahead and bottle it.

Yea i have the same thing must be the NZ :D air mine you can lift it with a spoon
and looks like pealed skin,... this is what i was told it was ,,,

It sounds like you have an infection. It's not necessarily a throw-away job.
The proof is in the tasting. If it tastes ok, then fine. If not, then you
should think about adding to your sanitation regime..

mine tasted a little sour.....

Sourness of the sort that you are tasting is a characteristic of Lambics,
and not surprisingly, so is the bacteria that you have grown.

try to not disturb the colony too much, and stop
bottling before the level drops too much.

Cheers guys.

I bottled it yesterday, hopefully it will turn out ok. I guess I should just keep an eye out for the white rings in the bottles.

Nice to know there's another NZer here. I thought I was the only one haha.

If it tastes horrid then you've got an infection. Forget all the nonesense about rings, films, white spots, etc. There's one sure way to tell if the beer is bad.. taste it. If it's drinkable then it won't kill you. If it tastes worse than steel reserve then I say you've got a problem. If it's growing hair then I say you've got a problem. If it's neither of these then the beer is fine, bottle it and wait.

I think you should relax and have a homebrew :tank:

Latest posts

Back