Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Day 16 in fermentor. 5th day after adding hop pellets to dry hop planning to bottle Sunday or Monday depending on settlement. However, it seems foamier than usual at this point. NEIPA done with a hybrid kit(grain and liquid)
CED05A2D-85C9-4C1A-A6ED-9EA94B16F2DF.jpeg

Just looks like hop matter to me. If you just threw the pellets straight into your fermenter sometimes they float instead of settling out.

Also, just a heads up, with that amount of hop matter, if it doesn't sink/settle at the bottom, it could clog up equipment during transfers (spigot, wand, keg pins, etc.). Should still be fine, but just a heads up for an issue that may come up.

I'm with the others, looks fine to me too. You may witness some outgassing from adding the dry hops, due to creation of nucleation sites.

Your beer looks very dark. Is this a "roasted"NEIPA variation?
No just the basic Brewers Best kit. I thought it was really dark\greenish from the start. It was closer to pea soup before the first round of hops(from the boil) finally settled.

Also, just a heads up, with that amount of hop matter, if it doesn't sink/settle at the bottom, it could clog up equipment during transfers (spigot, wand, keg pins, etc.). Should still be fine, but just a heads up for an issue that may come up.
Yeah, that is my next concern. Not going to cold crash though since last time I tried I got a lot of dead.bottles. I added gelatin yesterday to see if that speeds settlement and also plan to wrap siphon in cheese cloth to help filter. Any other suggestion welcome.

Any other suggestion welcome.
Start siphoning from the middle of the beer, around halfway between the beer surface and trub layer. There's the least amount of trub there.
Then lower the cane slowly as the beer level recedes. Use one of those flow inverter tippies on the bottom of the cane, so the flow comes from above, not below.

Toward the end, tip the fermenter slowly to keep the well you're siphoning from as deep as possible.
==> Having an extra set of hands available comes in very handy.
Also put your fermenter onto a damp (not soaking wet) towel or so, to prevent it from sliding.

Siphon slowly, as any hard suction will clog the mesh solid in no time.
You may need a bit tighter mesh than cheesecloth, such as a nylon hop bag.

Yeah, that is my next concern. Not going to cold crash though since last time I tried I got a lot of dead.bottles. I added gelatin yesterday to see if that speeds settlement and also plan to wrap siphon in cheese cloth to help filter. Any other suggestion welcome.
The darker color is probably a combination of all the vegetal matter and maybe a slight exposure to O2. Heavy hopped beers are super susceptible to oxidation, but as long as you drink it fresh you probably won't even notice anything.

Back