Infected or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremybwilson

Reaction score
So I've got a batch of Caribou Slobber, now about 14 days in the secondary fermenter with what appears to be a very slight slimy foam/bubbles on the surface and a relatively constant release through the airlock every 30-45 seconds.

I was not particularly concerned about this until about 3 days ago when, in addition to a new very mild layer of bubbles on the top, I began to notice said activity in the airlock. I assume based on reading other thread that this is CO2 being released again, however it comes after nearly a good 10 days of no 'visible' activity from the secondary.

Here are some pictures to document the before and after...

All is well after more than a week in the secondary fermenter:

Then, as of 3 days ago, sudden airlock activity and signs of infection(?):

I scoured the forums last week and the larger "post your infection/infected?/dump it?" stickies for information and answers to my own questions and still don't know what to do.

Whatever it is that is going on in my beer it really appears relatively minor. And if it is an infection, right now the beer still tastes great and has no off taste that I can ascertain.

So the questions are as follows:

1. Infected or maybe just some late yeast activity? I realize the pictures aren't great but I could not really get a good view through the condensation at the top.

2. With semi-active CO2 activity through the airlock still, am I running the risk of creating bottle bombs by bottling? I have a keg but no CO2 in the cannister. Should I keg it now instead of bottling? Is kegging even an option?

3. Does an infection, with no sour or off taste as of yet, ever result in a "dump it" verdict.

With regards to the ongoing CO2 activity, is this a real red flag for creating 'bottle bombs'?

I was hoping to bottle in about another week and let bottle condition for at least two more weeks.

Obviously I'm being cautious. It may very well peter out again for the remaining week or so in the secondary. I was only feeling rushed with the thought of an infection and a potential loss of the beer.

Forgot to mention, that FG reading last night was almost exactly the same as it was back on Sept. 15th when I racked to the secondary.

I would suspect that fermentation was stalled, and maybe a warming of the ambient temperature kicked the yeast into gear. Also, hydrogen sulfide will continue to escape through the airlock, as the yeast continue to clean up after themselves. This could also be the cause for the ongoing bubbling. I believe it will be fine, and looks normal at the moment.

Has the temperature increased at all, even a small increase will cause airlock activity? This happens for 2 reasons the air in the headspace will expand and co2 will come out of solution as the temperature rises.

Looks fine. Only dump if it tastes nasty. What where your OG and FG readings? What yeast?

Has the temperature increased at all, even a small increase will cause airlock activity? This happens for 2 reasons the air in the headspace will expand and co2 will come out of solution as the temperature rises.

Oddly, the temp here in Seattle has probably dropped a good 10-15 degrees outside during the previous three weeks. The fermometer has been reading consistently right about 68F but was right up around 70-72 during the primary fermentation.

Looks fine. Only dump if it tastes nasty. What where your OG and FG readings? What yeast?

Didn't get the OG sadly. Kit states it should have been around 1.052. FG reading(s) has been coming in at 1.022-1.025. Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast (dry)

1.022 seems a bit high ... certainly there is still enough sugar to feed some residual fermentation. Does the recipe tell you what you should be shooting for? American Browns should be a bit malty, but I would figure that to be in the 1.016-18 range for a beer that started at 1.052.

If it were me, I'd bring the temp up a few degrees and give the carboy a swirl to see if that kick starts some of the yeast. If that doesn't work, I would drop in another pack of yeast ... probably some WYeast 1056, just to finish it out more. For my tastes, that is going to be a pretty sweet beer as it stands.

I would do what mrboz suggests, assuming you haven't already continued with your process. Before bottling, do make sure you have a consistent gravity readings for 3 days at least. Calculate and weigh your sugar accurately. Like I said relax, you're gonna have beer soon. :)

I would do what mrboz suggests, assuming you haven't already continued with your process. Before bottling, do make sure you have a consistent gravity readings for 3 days at least. Calculate and weigh your sugar accurately. Like I said relax, you're gonna have beer soon. :)

Sitting at about 1.018 today. Reading from four days ago was 1.020 down from the 1.022. So it appears that the yeast are not quite done yet and I will give it as long as it takes to get three days of stable readings.

Thanks again to everyone who helped calm me down and guide me away from the cliff that was dumping my beer that was (now clear to me) nowhere near infected.

Does the recipe tell you what you should be shooting for? American Browns should be a bit malty, but I would figure that to be in the 1.016-18 range for a beer that started at 1.052.

Sadly it does not. That is one thing that is driving me a little nuts so far with the three Northern Brewer extract kits I've purchased so far. They give an estimated OG reading but nowhere in the instructions have I seen a specified FG value.

It is probably a topic for a completely different thread but I'd have to so that so far the best instructions I've seen have been those included with Brewer's Best kits. Easy to read, laid out well, I could go on.

I looked into the NB Caribou Slobber kit.

No F.G. posted, as you said.

I assume you used the Danstar dry yeast option? I did some light research on it and it seems this strain has a lower attenuation, sometimes around 65%. That would put your Slobber at 1.018. I also read many threads describing the same lag in fermentation that you experienced. You should expect a ~4.5% somewhat sweet beer, everything seems to be perfectly on track. Continue to wait and you shall be rewarded!

Best of luck.

Sitting at about 1.018 today. Reading from four days ago was 1.020 down from the 1.022. So it appears that the yeast are not quite done yet and I will give it as long as it takes to get three days of stable readings.

Thanks again to everyone who helped calm me down and guide me away from the cliff that was dumping my beer that was (now clear to me) nowhere near infected.

Sadly it does not. That is one thing that is driving me a little nuts so far with the three Northern Brewer extract kits I've purchased so far. They give an estimated OG reading but nowhere in the instructions have I seen a specified FG value.

It is probably a topic for a completely different thread but I'd have to so that so far the best instructions I've seen have been those included with Brewer's Best kits. Easy to read, laid out well, I could go on.

When you get to the end game and are taking gravity readings to verify that your yeast have finished, although you want to see stable readings over 3-days, I would caution against taking readings every day. 1) you expose your beer to potential infection (although, this risk is reduced greatly after primary fermentation because the alcohol in the beer serves as anti-bacterial - it's why yeast make ethanol in the first place, to secure their environment from competing organisms) and 2) each draw into your hydrometer is finished beer that you won't be drinking later (you are stealing from your future self).

So, take a reading every 3 days (after initial 10-14 day primary) and call it when the readings appear to have stabilized (assuming you are somewhere near your target FG ... otherwise, warm it a few degrees, agitate it, or add yeast to restart).

Eventually achieved a 1.014 and bottled a couple of days ago after bubbles on the top finally broke apart and subsided.

Total time in primary/secondary = 34 days.

Secondary yeast activation occurring on about day 21 and lasting right up until the end.

Multiple samples taken along the way and never any off flavors. Completely content with the FG of 1.104.

All in all, really really glad to have had the experience and learned to 'chill the funk out' and give the batch the time to do it's thing.

Back