Infected glass carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddPEI

Reaction score
The last couple batches i've had to toss down the drain due to infection.

I've tried soaking them in bleach, then rinsing, then soaking with Oxyclean, rinse and finally StarSan. And again i've had issues. Are there other methods of sanitizing glass carboys?

(It may potentially be my starter growing procedure, so my next batch i'm buying new yeast, and not using yeast bank yeast... just to be safe on that end).

After cleaning you can use dry heat to sterilize them. put them in the oven cold and then turn it on 300°F for a couple hours. then let it cool down on its own. you dont want to shock the glass it will crack.

After cleaning you can use dry heat to sterilize them. put them in the oven cold and then turn it on 300°F for a couple hours. then let it cool down on its own. you dont want to shock the glass it will crack.

Not doubting you but, are you certain that glass carboys can live through a thermal expansion that high?

If the OP's procedure doesn't cut it, I'm going to speculate that it's not coming from the carboy sanitation.

MC

Not doubting you but, are you certain that glass carboys can live through a thermal expansion that high?

If the OP's procedure doesn't cut it, I'm going to speculate that it's not coming from the carboy sanitation.

MC

I'm with you. I suspect it may be the reused yeast. Or maybe infected bottling buckets or other infected equipment. But I doubt it's glass carboys.

MC

you can go lower, like 200 ° for 24 hours. it should survive it you do it slowly.

I agree though, if you clean it with PBW and starsan, it is clean. somehwere else in the process is failing.

Thanks,

I just bought new plastics, and as I mentioned new yeast. Hopefully the next batch turns out well.

Happy and successful brewing to you all!

Thanks,

I just bought new plastics, and as I mentioned new yeast. Hopefully the next batch turns out well.

Happy and successful brewing to you all!

So, yer' gonna' eliminate 2 variables or potentials @ one shot, and not be sure what caused the problem?
I don't blame ya' for not wanting to waste a batch, but as others have mentioned, I doubt it's the glass, citing the procedures you mentioned.

:mug:

Back