Infected beer taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undallas

Reaction score
I have 2 different batches (oatmeal stout, hefe) going right now in primary for 1 weeks.

I don't want to open the lid to check it out yet, but I see some krausen on the hefe (in 5 gal HDPE). Oatmeal just have some huge bubbles (in Mr Beer keg).

I wonder if there is a "taste" test that can tell me if the beer is still good?
Is there a way to describe infected beer? vomit?

thanks

Your beer is fine...fermentation is ugly, and smelly....You're just nervous. If you taste it now, it may be nasty tasting to you...and really just be "green."

Besides nerves, what makes you think your beer is bad?

It's only been in primary for a week, it may not even be finished out yet.

You don't need to panic, you don't need to check out the "common off flavors" section of how to brew and then work your self into a noobish tizzy...Just relax and let the process work itself through...It's really really really really hard to f$#@ up your beer.....

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Your beer is fine...fermentation is ugly, and smelly....You're just nervous. If you taste it now, it may be nasty tasting to you...and really just be "green."

Besides nerves, what makes you think your beer is bad?

It's only been in primary for a week, it may not even be finished out yet.

You don't need to panic, you don't need to check out the "common off flavors" section of how to brew and then work your self into a noobish tizzy...Just relax and let the process work itself through...It's really really really really hard to f$#@ up your beer.....

Thanks for the off flavor URL..
Yeah.. I guess I get nervous because I haven't get to drink one of my brew yet... The pale ale is still in bottle... they look nice and clear.. I think they are good to go in another week.

The oatmeal tasted a bit sweet, I think it is not done yet... reading some posts, I guess it may need 2 more week.

I haven't tasted the hefe, but I will do it tonight....We'll see about it.

THanks for the words... it calms my head down for the moment..:)

Meanwhile, I'm drink some store bought warsteiner oct..

Noobitus, is a brain infection, not a beer one :D

You just have to relax, and realize that beer's been made for over 2000 years, mostly by accident. The yeasties really are the experts, all we have to do is give them a nice clean office and plenty of food and sit back and let them do their job!

Yes... indeed, psychological infection is more notorious than the infection in the physical world...

I need to have "faith" for my beer.

Back