Induction or Convection burner 110v advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
I'm looking to change my brew in a bag set up from gas to electric. I don't have a 220v so I'm looking for advice on a good convection burner that will plug into A 110 outlet and not pop the breaker every 5 minutes. 10 gallon pot, 5 gallon batches. I have a 20amp outlet in my brew room that i can use. I really would like one with a temp probe, if that even exists

Last edited:
My experience tells me that 10 gal kettle and 5 gallon batches is too large for a convection 110v unit.

Your only hope is a 2250 w immersion element, but with only one element it will be a slow system, and perhaps require a partially covered kettle to reach and maintain boil.

If 240v not available you could use two 120v on separate circuits.

Brewhardware.com has what you need...

Avantek 3.5 kW, 240V works great for me as long as fridge magnet sticks to the boiling pot

Induction should theoretically be able to get an iron/steel core pot hotter than convection coil as its more efficient, a 10G pot boiling 5G (or more if you are planning 5G finished vol) is a LOT to ask of 110v though, I doubt it would be able to give you a good boil in a reasonable time if at all (I do ~4G boil for 3.25G batch, on stove top 1800W coil element and its a long wait and can JUST maintain it). Best thing I can suggest is if you have 2 electrical circuits running in the brew room for plugs you can see about getting a ganged plug to feed 220v to bigger element that would very easily be able to do 5G boil... you may not be able to run anything else on those circuits at the same time though.

I run a single 1650w 110v element inside my kettle. Gets the job done

Back