Induction cooktop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Presbrewterian Pastor

Man’s sweat + God’s love = Beer
Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation: I want to brew small batches (1-2.5 gal) in a 5.5 gal Anvil kettle. I plan to use a countertop induction burner but don't want to spend any more $ on one than I need to. What wattage do you recommend for small batches like that, and is there a specific brand you recommend? (Note - stovetop in the kitchen isn't an option).

Greetings. Unless you want to use a 240v outlet, you should probably get an 1800-watt unit. Many are available well under $100. fwiw, my "Chef's Star" branded unit has been serving me well for several years. I like that its controls are all under a single sheet of ceramic glass, safe from spills. Probably no longer available in exactly this brand or configuration. Happy brewing!

Attachments

• 20210303_130028.jpg
    20210303_130028.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 21
Until switching to an all in one system this year, I was using an Avantco 1800 watt for 2.5 gallon batches for a number of years. I really liked it for brewing and found a ton of extra uses for it (having an extra burner for parties, holidays, cookouts, etc is very useful and helps justify the cost).

Here is the model I have:
https://www.avantcoequipment.com/product/?id=18316
Cannot recall what I paid for it, but they go for about $125 now.

I just ordered the Avantco IC1800 for similar small batches with a 5.5 gal kettle - $130 shipped. I ended up settling on the Avanto because of the steel frame and the granularity of the setting it offered.

Found some similar models on ebay that only offered 30-40 degree temp setting ranges where the Avantco was 10 degree. There are cheaper models (Ikea Tillreda for $50) which I know others use and they are the same wattage, but the Avantco just seemed more solidly built.

Back