Induction cooktop

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Presbrewterian Pastor

Man’s sweat + God’s love = Beer
Reaction score
Looking for a recommendation: I want to brew small batches (1-2.5 gal) in a 5.5 gal Anvil kettle. I plan to use a countertop induction burner but don't want to spend any more $ on one than I need to. What wattage do you recommend for small batches like that, and is there a specific brand you recommend? (Note - stovetop in the kitchen isn't an option).

Reaction score
Greetings. Unless you want to use a 240v outlet, you should probably get an 1800-watt unit. Many are available well under $100. fwiw, my "Chef's Star" branded unit has been serving me well for several years. I like that its controls are all under a single sheet of ceramic glass, safe from spills. Probably no longer available in exactly this brand or configuration. Happy brewing!

Attachments

NobleSavage

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Until switching to an all in one system this year, I was using an Avantco 1800 watt for 2.5 gallon batches for a number of years. I really liked it for brewing and found a ton of extra uses for it (having an extra burner for parties, holidays, cookouts, etc is very useful and helps justify the cost).

Here is the model I have:

Cannot recall what I paid for it, but they go for about $125 now.

BGBC

Reaction score
I just ordered the Avantco IC1800 for similar small batches with a 5.5 gal kettle - $130 shipped. I ended up settling on the Avanto because of the steel frame and the granularity of the setting it offered.

Found some similar models on ebay that only offered 30-40 degree temp setting ranges where the Avantco was 10 degree. There are cheaper models (Ikea Tillreda for $50) which I know others use and they are the same wattage, but the Avantco just seemed more solidly built.