Induction Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loveall-Brew

Reaction score
I am looking to start using an induction burner for the convenience of brewing in my basement, and I have a couple questions:

- What wattage would be sufficient for partial boils? I still plan to do full boils outdoors with my burner.

- Any suggesstions for a good one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1800w would probably do a partial boil for a 5 gal batch, insulating the kettle would help. I have a 3500w burner, which works well for 5 gal batches. I've boiled up to 9 gallons of wort with no issue. My kettle is insulated, however. The higher wattage models require 240v service, so keep that in mind. Avantco is the brand I have, which is what many guys on here reccomend. They are sold by Webstaurant Store online, the 3500w model ran me about $150-170 if I remember correctly. I'd recommend induction to anybody looking to get into electric brewing, but still leaves the door open to upgrading other components to electric in the future.

Thanks for the info! I was looking at the Megawort electric kettle, but wonder if I am better off to just get an induction burner.

Induction burners have grabbed my attention too. The Jan-Feb '18 issue of Brew Your Own mag, has an article on induction burners. The author says he's witnessed up to 7.5 gallons brought to a boil given the right conditions (pot geometry and insulation) on an 1800w unit. At $122.69 on Avantco's website, may be worth a look.

I've been using an induction hotplate for about a year now - started using it soon after I started brewing actually. It's a 1800w 'Winco' commercial induction cooker which I found on Craigslist for $100Cad. With reflectix I can get a boil for my 5 gal batches no problem. It's not a leaping boil but more of a light rolling boil but that hasn't detracted from my beer - a boil is a boil. The only downside I've found is it takes 45 to 60 min. to get from mash out to boil. I can set the heat to 300w and maintain my mash temps pretty well even in winter in my garage - mind you I live on the west coast of Canada and never had to brew in less than 45F weather. BUT, that all said I just installed a TC port for a 1650w element in my kettle and bought an Inkbird IPD-16 pid controller for it so I can set my kettle to turn on before I'm awake (with a timer) and maintain mash temps better. Now I can run the element and induction cooker on two different 15amp circuits so I can get to a boil now in 20 min. in winter so no need for 220 volts. Only done one batch so far this way but it's working like a charm. Hope that helps.

@Loveall-Brew Saw that the price dropped on Webstaurant Store's website (link below) for the Avantco IC1800, to $99.99. Went ahead and bought it. Tried it out today with a simple extract kit. Got 6 gallons of wort from 52F up to a steady boil in 1 hr 50 min. Also used two wraps of Reflectix. Kettle is a MegaPot 10 gallon. Thinking of adding a third wrap to see if times improve. Overall, happy with the purchase. Hope this helps.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...MI5PiFk--S2gIVSW7BCh1jMgWCEAEYASABEgJaq_D_BwE
ic1800.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I ended up buying an 1800 watt induction burner. I have made one batch so far. I am happy with it. Took as little longer to get to boil, but the ease of brewing indoors in my basement was awesome. Happy brewing. Cheers!

Back