Induction burner problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevkev5

Reaction score
My induction burner kicks on for a couple seconds, then off for a couple seconds, then back on for a couple seconds, etc etc. Not getting any error messages on the display. Anyone else have a similar problem and have a solution? Maybe some kind of sensor went? It's a 3500w bon chef 12085.

My cooktop has a ‘temp’ setting. If yours has one maybe it’s just trying hit and maintain a certain temp?

It does seem like that but it's happening right from the start of turning it on, and I was using the heating setting(watts), not the temp setting. It is something new that never happened before.

@cubalz, They don't cycle on and off this fast when heating. At least this one didn't the first 30 times I brewed with it, nor has the Avantco IC3500 I replaced it with.

Good point, The fan turns on and off when the burner does. But I think the fan used to continue to run when the burner cycled off, even in temperature mode.

Good point, The fan turns on and off when the burner does. But I think the fan used to continue to run when the burner cycled off, even in temperature mode.

On my Avantco IC3500 the fan runs for half a minute or so after shutting it off.
Now that fan has a crappy sleeve bearing, I've cleaned the dust off it and oiled the bearing many times, every 20-40 hours of use, or when I hear it surge.

If your plate powers on and off perpetually something more drastic can be happening. Have you looked online for possible causes or fixes?
The fan should run while the unit is powered on. Even when the coil cycles down, the power regulator and electronics need cooling. At least that's the way the IC3500 works.

Any warranty left on that?

Searched online quite a bit before my original post, didn't have any luck. It's well past warranty. I reached out to bon chef. I can send it in for a free estimate. I just have to pay for shipping. I'm still waiting for the form I have to include with it. If anything comes of it, I'll post an update in case someone has a similar problem in the future.

Searched online quite a bit before my original post, didn't have any luck. It's well past warranty. I reached out to bon chef. I can send it in for a free estimate. I just have to pay for shipping. I'm still waiting for the form I have to include with it. If anything comes of it, I'll post an update in case someone has a similar problem in the future.

Ouch!
At least they'll look at it.

If it looks anything like the IC3500 inside, the main pieces would be 2 circuit boards, one for human interface, the other the main board with the power regulator circuitry mounted on a large heat sink, coil, fan, and heat sensor. Really not all that much to it.

There are not many serviceable components inside, aside from swapping out the faulty piece.

Have you looked inside? Maybe the problem is easy to spot?

Last edited:
:off: sort of...
I'm probably way wrong but it just seems to me like the inside of one of these should have nearly all the parts needed to build a controller for a RIMS tube or such. If it can't be fixed, could it be re-purposed?

Back