Induction Brewing - 2.5g with Recirculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I can say about 1469 is that the krausen will stay longer than what you are used to. Do not be concerned about it not being finished, although always do a gravity check. It's a nice strain to top crop if you can, even if you don't want to reuse the yeast. I top crop once I see that brown stuff on top, usually 36+hours into fermentation.

Cranking up the brewery tonight for the Innkeeper Ale. The starter has been going for about 48 hours and I have a nice, fat yeast cake of the West Yorkshire to pitch. Will post some pics tomorrow.

Looking forward to hearing about the brew, Sammy!

Geoffm33 - Great to hear! I'm curious to see how it goes!

Crap! I got some bunk pH test strips. They will not change color...no matter what I test. Vinegar, mash, tap water all reads 4.6 pH?

Geoffm33 - Great to hear! I'm curious to see how it goes!

geoffm - Offer that electrician some homebrew. Maybe he will give you a discount? ;)

Paid him his full due AND sent him home with a few brews. He's an old homebrewer and I think he's got the bug to start brewing again! Said he may go home and dust off the old equipment. :rockin:

I finished the Innkeeper Ale last night. Everything went nicely 'cept the new pH strips I got are no good. Could not get them to change color at all. Oh well...based on experience I was at least in the ballpark with the mash pH...I think...sorta close...I hope.

Inkeeper Ale (TTL Clone) 2.5 Gallons
4 lbs 1.2 oz British Golden Promise (2.2 SRM)
6.4 oz English Extra Dark Crystal (160.0 SRM)
4.3 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) 60 Min boil
0.41 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.41 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.41 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469)

Only did a couple pics as I was distracted by the bunk pH strips. Here is the boil.
13413461163_672fca2217.jpg

Love the color of these brews! Simcoe SMaSH (from last week) on the right and Innkeeper Ale on the left. It's a pleasure to open the ferm chamber and see it full for a change. :D
13413343385_a3ef45b616.jpg

Nice active fermentation with no lag. The simple starter and oxygen infusion are making the airlock do some heavy work.
13413461053_f3776df37b.jpg

Cheers :tank:

I finished the Innkeeper Ale last night. Everything went nicely 'cept the new pH strips I got are no good. Could not get them to change color at all. Oh well...based on experience I was at least in the ballpark with the mash pH...I think...sorta close...I hope.

Inkeeper Ale (TTL Clone) 2.5 Gallons
4 lbs 1.2 oz British Golden Promise (2.2 SRM)
6.4 oz English Extra Dark Crystal (160.0 SRM)
4.3 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) 60 Min boil
0.41 oz Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.41 oz East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
0.41 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg West Yorkshire Ale (Wyeast Labs #1469)

Only did a couple pics as I was distracted by the bunk pH strips. Here is the boil.
13413461163_672fca2217.jpg

Love the color of these brews! Simcoe SMaSH (from last week) on the right and Innkeeper Ale on the left. It's a pleasure to open the ferm chamber and see it full for a change. :D
13413343385_a3ef45b616.jpg

Nice active fermentation with no lag. The simple starter and oxygen infusion are making the airlock do some heavy work.
13413461053_f3776df37b.jpg

Cheers :tank:

What kind of fridge is that? It looks the perfect size for 3g better bottles.

Paid him his full due AND sent him home with a few brews. He's an old homebrewer and I think he's got the bug to start brewing again! Said he may go home and dust off the old equipment. :rockin:

Awesome! How cool is that...an electrician that is a homebrewer. Oh the possibilities would be endless.

Have you sparked up your system yet?

What kind of fridge is that? It looks the perfect size for 3g better bottles.

It's a GE SMR03BASAWW 3.1 Cu. Ft. mini fridge. I got it on sale at Wally World several years ago. I am thinking about building a second one so I can do lagers separately.

I have it controlled by a DIY STC-1000. The cooling side has the fridge plugged in and the heating side is a USB coffee mug warmer that heats to 140F. You can see it in the middle pic.

It has enough room for two 3G Better Bottles and a couple 1G bottles on the back shelf. Check the bottom pic.

stc-1000.jpg

kristall-fermenting.jpg

3-22-starter.jpg

Man, Sammy - you've got the whole kit and caboodle! Temp controlled fermenter (that fits two BB's no less!) and the induction setup. Any chance you could talk with my SWMBO? I'm still working on the induction plate and the kettle! LOL...

At least the basement's holding steady at 63F... :p

SBD - With the SWMBO, it is sometimes better to ask for forgiveness than permission. :D

Seriously, we always discuss any extraneous purchases over $50. That is our threshold. She agrees sometimes but not always. I respect her and she respects me in that regard. I also strategically plan a nice foot rub for her when I ask for the crazy stuff! :p

Sammy - Ha, oh if I only had a dollar for everytime I heard that forgiveness/permission schtick from a divorced husband... :D

Really, with a single income, it's a pick/chose type thing. I will say that even the SWMBO has mentioned - of all the hobbies I've had, this is the least expensive by FAR. So, I got that goin' for me. Unfortunately, my other hobbies need a few pick-me-ups, but an induction plate and pot are on the list first before things that go bang, try to catch walleye, or send pokey feathered objects throught the air...

Sammy - Ha, oh if I only had a dollar for everytime I heard that forgiveness/permission schtick from a divorced husband... :D

Really, with a single income, it's a pick/chose type thing. I will say that even the SWMBO has mentioned - of all the hobbies I've had, this is the least expensive by FAR.

Brewing keeps you in the house and happy more than you otherwise would be, right ?

If you think brewing is expensive, try building a muscle car. Or getting a private pilot's license. Or racing a keel boat. Or buying $5,000 road bikes for triathalons. Or hookers and blow. Not that I have direct experience with any of those.

Brewman_!-

Oh I've done the muscle car thing ('69 Cougar/429), did the racing thing briefly, haven't got into the roadbike thing (yet, it's scheduled for a summer purchase), and plead the 5th on hookers and blow. :D All hobbies cost money, I know this, and some blow through it faster than others.

The big thing in the household now is that the hobbies should have some kind of return investment. Hunting/fishing/gardening and now brewing all have some form of payout at the end. Maybe not a HUGE payout, but it gets the family involved and teaches several lessons in science and biology, both of which are great.

I will say it was a lot easier to have outrageous hobbies with a dual income and no kids, though.. :D

Trying to think how I can squeeze a new chest freezer into the garage where the current one is (so I can take the old one downstairs to become a fermenting chamber or keezer!)

My other hobbies are aquariums and BBQ. It is amazing how much crossover these have to brewing. I "stole" my digital meat thermometer for mashing/temp measurement and use my various mixing/measuring bowls for ingredients on brew day.

I also use baking soda, pickling lime, epsom salt and calcium chloride for my aquariums. I buy a little extra for mash adjustments.

My mini fridge was originally bought to keep beer, sodas and fish food cold and to hold marinating meats before they went on the grill or in the smoker. It's now my ferm chamber. :smack:

Sammy, have you had the chance to hookup a pump and recirculate during the mash? Curious how well it holds temps with the induction burner and 10 degree steps of the burner?

Great thread!

Carl - Thank you for the props on the thread!

I am still considering the recirc setup. The next step is to decide on a pump if I am going to do this. I like the Chugger with the stainless head. What do you guys think?

Since I have a smaller system...what about those cheap greatbreweh pumps? Or the US Solar pump?

I'd go with either the March or the Chugger, and I personally don't see an issue with the polysuphone head over stainless for our application. I've seen more than a few that worked with far worse chemicals than beer that are still humming along with propper maintenance. I know there's a few guys on here with the Solar style pumps, and for just a decent 12pack more you could be into a Chugger. I'll take the Chugger myself.

Of course though, I love spending Sammy's money. :D

I didn't realize the Chugger with the poly head was only $110 + shipping. Dang. Not a bad price! I think the SWMBO might approve that?

I didn't realize the Chugger with the poly head was only $110 + shipping. Dang. Not a bad price! I think the SWMBO might approve that?

You're asking the guy that's yet to get his induction plate, pot, and kit?

Yah - sure. She'll totally dig it, though it might require more bling on the backside than you think. :drunk:

I'd go with either the March or the Chugger, and I personally don't see an issue with the polysuphone head over stainless for our application. I've seen more than a few that worked with far worse chemicals than beer that are still humming along with propper maintenance. I know there's a few guys on here with the Solar style pumps, and for just a decent 12pack more you could be into a Chugger. I'll take the Chugger myself.

Of course though, I love spending Sammy's money. :D

Only downsides I see with poly is the connections strip easier than brass or SS. My camlock fitting are all polysulphone. But one you have your fittings on correctly how often are you going to be removing them anyway.

Other downside is ruggedabilty. But I doubt you'd have to worry about that, unless you like throwing your pump around. lol

I have a march 809. If I ever get another I will get a chugger. They ahev an extra tefln washer in the head that helps reduce wear if your head runs dry. And they seem to be less expensive, at least compared to what I paid in 2006 for the march pump.

Only downsides I see with poly is the connections strip easier than brass or SS. My camlock fitting are all polysulphone. But one you have your fittings on correctly how often are you going to be removing them anyway.

Bingo - I figure if you're making the commitment to a $110 pump a couple quick disconnect fittings (or at the very least, a few barbs) that will be put onto the house aren't going to be constantly removed possibly damaging the threads.

The housing is one piece anyway, and I'd be doing dis-assembly for cleaning/maintenance not any kind of caustic clean in place.

Just wish that they offered the poly head in a center input model, so I could orient the pump head up - no priming worries at all with that orientation.

Any way to use an induction burner with a sanke keggle? I'd really like to switch over from propane and I like induction over using water heater elements.

I don't think a keggle will work. The kettle you chose for induction needs to have a flat bottom to make proximity contact with the magnetic coils below the surface of the cooktop.

Bingo - I figure if you're making the commitment to a $110 pump a couple quick disconnect fittings (or at the very least, a few barbs) that will be put onto the house aren't going to be constantly removed possibly damaging the threads.

The housing is one piece anyway, and I'd be doing dis-assembly for cleaning/maintenance not any kind of caustic clean in place.

Just wish that they offered the poly head in a center input model, so I could orient the pump head up - no priming worries at all with that orientation.

I run sodium percarbonate (oxiclean) through mine to clean it and I have not had issues with any of my poly connectons.

I mounted elbows on my pump with a T on the output (one going vertical) for releasing air. No priming issues.

PICT00362.JPG

Added on each connector since that pic and shortened the vertical connection.

I don't think a keggle will work. The kettle you chose for induction needs to have a flat bottom to make proximity contact with the magnetic coils below the surface of the cooktop.

Hmm.. Thought as much. I might try and get an induction cooker and use a small stainless pot with copper tubing in it to change my system to a herms.

What are the temp controllers like on these units?

The temp control on the Vollrath Mirage I have is pretty good. I goofed around with temp control at 170F for a mash out and held it there for 15 minutes or so. It would go down to about 167 and then up to 173 during this time with some stirring.

I think the temp control would be even better with a recirc pump going. With the bag in place it seems to build up heat on the bottom while the top stays a bit cooler unless you stir the mash. I would also like to have a thermowell inline on the pump return to the kettle hooked up to good digital thermometer to get a better read on the temps.

Denny -

Silly question time, I've seen the valved "T" on the output side of the pump before, and thought it was an air purge in addition to your send line. It looks like you have two of the poly end pieces on that T, meaning you're hooking up for two separate reason. Any chance you could explain why you'd go that route?

Trying to figure out how I'd like to set up a single pump for recirc, cooling, and perhaps some form of a Randall/hopback.

Sammy - Stratification is a bad thing.

Denny -

Silly question time, I've seen the valved "T" on the output side of the pump before, and thought it was an air purge in addition to your send line. It looks like you have two of the poly end pieces on that T, meaning you're hooking up for two separate reason. Any chance you could explain why you'd go that route?

Trying to figure out how I'd like to set up a single pump for recirc, cooling, and perhaps some form of a Randall/hopback.

Sammy - Stratification is a bad thing.

I mainly use the vertical T for air purge but it does give the me the abilty to send whatever I am pumping to another line/vessel.

Any updates on the system Sammy?

Got my induction plate in, just waiting on the pot to show up so I can start testing!

:mug:

If I were to put an iron skillet on the induction heater, could I then heat a starter in a glass flask on top of the skillet? Seems like if the skillet gets hot it would work, but I've never used an induction cooker. Thank you.

Ha...funny you should mention the starter thing. I just got a stir plate from Stir-starters and a 2L Erlenmeyer. I thought the same thing...make the starter in the flask. Didn't really think of using my induction plate however.

A pic of course. :D

20140425_180221.jpg

Gearing up for brewing a Maibock. My LHBS was out of the Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager til Wednesday. Will pick up the yeast next Wednesday and make the starter then.

I think I will stay with the technique of making the starter in a saucepan on the stove and transfer it to the flask. Can't wait to get my new stir starter cranked up! :rockin:

When I grow up I want to have all the cool toys like Sammy. :D

Sammy, are you going to try that quick lager technique that was on here not long ago? The only thing holding me back on Lagers is a stable, temp controlled chamber for step fermenting. Once I get the keezer thing under control, I'll be looking at that portion of the equation. Basement's still in the 60's, so I've got ales planned out for a while.

I didn't know there was quick lager technique? :confused:

I am guessing this is going to be more of a Junebock. :p

Back